Illustrator & Photoshop flakey-ness

holmBrew

Official Volunteer
So almost daily Illustrator and Photoshop seem to forget about a few integral keyboard shortcut like:
spacebar = hand
cmd + spacebar & cmb + opt + spacebar for magnification
cmd for the selection tool and some others

does this happen to anyone else? has anyone figured out why. it seemed to me that the problem went away in 10.1.5 or maybe 10.1.4, but since the 10.2.x upgrade is has returned. i notified adobe, but had no response.

i saw these messages in the Console:
Oct 10 10:36:06 localhost WindowServer[169]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0xc603 for over 1.000000 seconds
Oct 10 10:36:34 localhost WindowServer[169]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0xee0b for over 1.000000 seconds

I wonder if they lend any clue to these problems...

I had the same problem with PS after updating OS X to 10.2

I fixed it by reinstalling PS.

Hmm. I 'll have to try that. I tried re-installing both AI10 and PS7 when this happened before (pre-10.2) with no avail. I'll try it again.

The curious thing is that is never happend to my machine at home or my PowerBook Prismo, just the Quicksilver 800Mhz I have at work. This makes it extra frustrating and painfull.

This problem seems to be related to mounted disks, and it seems primarily mounted windows(samba) volumes. As soon as I mount a windows share the short cuts go away. This is very frustrating because I have to happily coexist in the predominantly winbloz-centric environment and must be able to work effective from these mounted winbloz volumes!

Damn you Adobe! Fix this!

I've never had trouble with these at all... even with smb shares mounted.
although I did reinstall PS after doing a clean install of X.2

I never have used illustrator though.

I have considered doing a clean install, but since the same thing happens on my laptop that was totally erase and install I decided against it.

I just hope adobe will release fix soon!

On the Apple discussions, a post to a thread I started there about this problem offers a fix....sort of.

---snip---
Open system prefs > keyboard > move "delay Until Repeat" to off. that should do it, you might have to log out and log back in to get it to work.
---snap---

it works with the only side effect being no char repeat.

The actual fix is this:

System Prefs > Keyboard

check "Turn on Full keyboard Access"

restart your machine

have fun

This fix resolves all keyboard shortcut issues with Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Freehand, and any others that need to access this preference.

Back