iMac G4 (flat panel) & Powerbook G4 with Airport

lardy

Registered
Hello all, I hope you can help.
I have and older G4 iMac and a newer Powerbook G4 that I wish to run through a wireless network at home. Am I right in thinking that for the Flat Panel i will have to buy to older Airport card and fit?
Then can I run them both through an Airport Extreme base station? (The new Powerbook is already Airport ready so pressume no problems there)
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for you words of wisdom.

Jason

'... older G4 iMac ... I wish to run through a wireless network at home. ... Flat Panel ... older Airport card? - there were three (3) 'iMac G4' models [iMac (Flat Panel - with a 15 inch screen), iMac (17 inch Flat Panel), and iMac (15 inch early 2003)] that require the original 'Airport' (802.11b) card. The four (4) remaining iMac G4's (as well as - the iMac G5's and iMac Intel based) model require the 'Airport Extreme' (802.11g) card.

See 'Mactracker' for specifics.

'... can I run them both through an Airport Extreme base station?' - yes.

I have a Quicksilver G4 and an iBook G4. I have a DSL modem connected via an ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme Base station. As the Quicksilver desktop is near to the APE base I have it connected to the other port of the APE by ethernet cable.

Then the iBook, which already has an airport card in it, connects to the APE from anywhere in the house by wi-fi.

Since the modem and the Quicksilver are fixed, there didn't seem any point in buying a wireless card for it.

The Quicksilver was originally connected directly to the modem, so they were next to eachother. I just wired the APE between them with wires long enough to put it high up on top of a cupboard next to my desk.

You may find that a Linksys or Netgear wi-fi router will work as well, instead of the APE base.

The Airport Extreme Base Station, AEBS, provides a single LAN connector, where an Ethernet cable can be installed - between it and a Mac.

Should one want to connect (via Ethernet cables) more than one computer to the AEBS - a multiple port switch has to be connected (via an Ethernet cable) to the AEBS'es LAN port.

Back