Import Windows address book to Mac?

btoth

Person that uses a Mac
Has anyone successfully imported their Windows address book to OS X? Currently it's saved as a CSV file.

Thanks.

btoth said:
Has anyone successfully imported their Windows address book to OS X? Currently it's saved as a CSV file.

Thanks.

My wife changed jobs recently and is now working from home. I went through *incredible* pains and lengths to get her address book and some other MS Outlook items imported to the mac at home from her win 2K machine at work. Most of what you'll find doing a google search for import/export tools just doesn't work.

There aren't many easy ways to do it. It's not pretty, but saving out each address on your win machine as a Vcard (nothing I found will do this as a batch, you are limited to one at a time exporting), and then importing them into address book on the mac as such, worked better than anything else. CSV works passably, but I got frustrated with the inconsistent import of fields - I was having to go through and spend just as much time changing things in the csv import as I would have to go thorugh each item and save as an individual Vcard.

As for the other things - there are some very good script packages available to take information from mbox formats and a few others and import them into Entourage...but talk about another level of frustration.

I recently moved my wife's contacts and calendars from MS Outlook on XP to her new G5 without a hitch using Outlook 2 Mac ($10). It creates a Vcard file and a calendar file that you can then import into Address Book and iCal. Very easy.

Back