importing OE classic contacts/mailboxes into OSX mail app

Blaqb0x

Registered
Hi,

I just recently upgraded to jaguar. I was previously using MacOS 9x and OE 5

I'd like to import the contacts/mailboxes from OE to the OSx mail application however I can't seem to find the contacts or mailboxes. Does anyone know where they are? System folder or OE installation directory?

thanx,

Hello,

There are some other posts here on this subject (search for outlook express). Here's what I did to move from OE to Mail (today actually). First, the mailboxes. This part is easy. Just start Mail and choose Import Mailboxes... from the File menu and follow the steps.

The contacts were a little different. Mail uses Mac OS X's Address Book. Address Book can import vcards or LDIF. OE exports neither of those. So I installed Microsoft Office X Test Drive (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/). Then, from Entourage I imported OE's address book. Following the directions in another thread here I created a folder on my desktop called vcards. Then, in Entourage, I selected all my newly imported contacts and dragged them onto the vcards folder. When it's done you can look inside the vcards folder and you'll see an individual vcard file for each contact. Now you can go to Address Book and import those files (you need to select all the vcard files, not just the vcard folder).

I hope that helps.

Murray =:)

Back