Installing Jaguar & Norton AntiVirus

dennis

Registered
Have just ordered the Jaguar update to install over 10.1.5 on my G4 imac and have found by accident that my Norton Internet Security package wont work with it!

Has anyone had experience of this please as information is patchy? I'm running Norton AntVirus 7.0.2 & Norton Firewall 1.0.2 but it now seems that I wasted my money as it wont work with Jaguar. Is that it, do I just trash the software in order to install Jaguar?

Yep, you only have the option of upgrading to NAV 8.0 for OSX, which works in an entirely different way due to how OSX is constructed. I'm having to get it myself.

You might want to stay away from the complete Norton Systemworks package. Norton Disc Doctor has damaged or destroyed too many people's systems to be trustworthy. I am getting the new version of Diskwarrior for OSX, which has turned out to be the most reliable disk maintenance tool so far, and it come with a defragmenter as well.

Also note that you should do a CLEAN install of OSX, rather than an "over the top of your 10.1.5" upgrade, as the upgrade path always seems to cause major problems.

I have not had a problem with Norton Anti Virus; but I could screem about the wasted money I put into Norton Utilities. Since I upgraded to 10.2, NU can not even find the hard drive.

-iGuy

iGuy, that's a known bug with Jaguar and NU and Norton provided a patch for it a while back. Just click on the "Live Update" option in when you open up NU.

In reference to Jeff's comments, I haven't had one problem with Norton Utilities (or Antivirus, for that matter) running in OS X. In fact, Norton has easily optimized my drives and recovered a badly corrupted drive that contained many important files. What is supposed to be the advantage of Disk Warrior over Utilities? Is Disk Warrior also supposed to be better than Drive 10?

Originally posted by ByerlyRips
iGuy, that's a known bug with Jaguar and NU and Norton provided a patch for it a while back. Just click on the "Live Update" option in when you open up NU.

I have the same problem with System Works 2.0, no hard drives are seen (Antivirus sees it fine tho). Live Update says I have the latest versions.

I have the same problem with System Works 2.0, no hard drives are seen (Antivirus sees it fine tho). Live Update says I have the latest versions.

Hmmmm, have you tried downloading the Norton update directly from Symantec's site?

I certainly hope Norton Utilties has been patched, as it destroyed our mac Technician's OSX rig a few months ago.

It is a shame that Norton Utilties for OSX has earned itself such a poor reputation, as it was my weapon of choice under OS9.x. Unfortunately too many experienced mac users have had problems to be discounted.

Diskwarrior, on the other hand, has apparently proven itself reliable. I have yet to use it myself.

ByerlyRips:

You are probably not running the latest version of Jaguar [10.2.2]. I say this because Symantec acknowledges this problem, and states that they do not have it fixed yet.

This is from the Symantec web site:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2002041817543211

“Norton Utilities 7.0.x is not yet fully compatible with Apple's new operating system Mac OS X v10.2.2, released November 11, 2002. For more information, see the document
No disks appear in Norton Disk Doctor, UnErase or Speed Disk window after updating to Mac OS X v10.2.2.” [My highlight]
And:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2002111210394511
"Solution:
Norton Utilities 7.0.x is not yet fully compatible with Apple's new operating system Mac OS X v10.2.2, released November 11, 2002. Symantec is currently working on updates for compatibility with Mac OS X v10.2.2. This document will be updated when additional information is available. Please bookmark this page and check back for news."[My highlight]

-iGuy

Back