installing linux

liquidwave22

Registered
hello I have an Ibook G4 with OSX 2.5something I bought it second hand for 48$ but alot of the disk space was used on another users profile I cant delete these so I want to get rid of OSX because I dont have the install disks and install linux so I downloaded Fedora linux on XP it is PPC so it should work but when I put it into the disk drive and press C during startup the cd drive just revs up and then revs down it wont boot from the disk I really want to stay legal but cheap so I dont want to pirate an OSX disk how do I install linux on an Ibook

If I were you, purchase a version of Mac OS X on eBay. In the meantime, do a search for Knoppix. Knoppix is a linux distro that can be booted from a CD so you don't actually have to install it on your Apple at all to use it.

What kind of iBook is it? The fruity color ones, or the white one? I ask, because an iBook G4 will not come with OS 10.2, since they were released during the time of OS 10.3.

I would not recommend installing linux. It's usable, but on a mac, it's more of a hack than an OS. It doesn't compare to OS X, which can be had for cheap on eBay.

see this for linux:
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html

That's in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I actually have Ubuntu Linux installed on my iMac G5 and it runs REALLY fast. Sometimes it actually feels as though it's faster than OS X on the same Mac, but that's just my perception. As a matter of fact, I've even installed Ubuntu Linux on a 600 MHz snow iMac G3 with 256 MB of RAM and it runs MUCH faster than OS X on it. The installation was pretty straightforward also.

The only thing you'll really miss is Flash. As for Java, IBM has a PowerPC verson for Linux that works. All you need to do is sign up for a free account on their site and they have the IBM Java runtime available for download.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html

Granted installing and running Linux on the PowerPC Macs might not be as easy as installing and running OS X, but that hardly makes it a "hack" on the PowerPC. Sometimes, this is the only option you have if you want to run the latest software out there. Yes, you can purchase a newer version of OS X, but that would require a RAM upgrade. With Linux, you don't need to do that. The 256 MB of RAM on that iMac G3 was more than enough for it. ;)

Back