Installing openoffice?

ksd20039

Registered
Last week I upgraded to Panther, primarily to install and use openoffice. However, I am a recent switcher to Mac from windows and am also not a programmer. I have read the installation guide to installing openoffice 1.03, but am not quite sure about the install prompts in x11. Also, when I installed Panther, I only installed the 3 OS CDs. Do I need to install the XCode disk (4th CD)?
In the openoffice download site, the first two (of 4) downloads work, but the last two (one is darwin dmg and the other is openoffice install) do not complete downloading and say half way through that the download failed.
Is there a step that I am missing?

i just installed it about 2 days ago. from the openoffice.org website i just downloaded ooo103darwingm.dmg. that package installs everything. you dont need the xcode disk unless it has X11 on it. check to see if you have X11 installed. it will be in your applications folder if it is. other than that, i'm not sure why you are downloading mutliple files. just get the one i mentioned and it should work.

This might be a little off-topic, but have you tried NeoOffice/J? Its basically OpenOffice but uses Java instead of X11. The result is you get much better looking fonts, and the speed is still about the same.

http://www.neooffice.org/java/

Back