Internet Banking and Java Applets

sKu.nK

Registered
Hi

I've just bought a MAC and am not that familiar with them so be gentle please

I'm running OS 10.1.5 and have a little experience with Linux.

I am having trouble getting to my bank's (www.co-operativebank.co.uk) website. The site uses a Java applet for the secure connection.

I tried getting to the site using IE 5.1.2 I think and this failed - it wouldn't load the Java Applet properly. I then updated to IE 5.2 and tried again but with no success. I then downloaded Mozilla and installed this but again no luck.

I checked the bank's troubleshooting guide and it said that it uses a slightly old version of Java which IE and Mozilla aren't obviously backward compatible with.

It says you need MRJ 2.2.3

I couldn't find MRJ 2.2.3 but I did find MRJ 2.2.5 and downloaded and installed it, but this has made no difference.

I remember having trouble with Linux in getting to the banking site and managed to get round it by using Netscape.

Maybe this will work - haven't tried it yet.

Please help. I haven't tried OS 9.2 yet but I don't think that will work ???

Anyone with any ideas ?????????

Thanks

;) :)

Well, try Netscape, though since that is based on Mozilla you may not get much result. Then, I'd suggest grabbing the address of the applet and loading it up in the applet-launcher application (which you'll find under /Applications/Utilities).

Its worth a shot ...

I am having the same problem with my bank. And many other applets.

I think the only reason is this:
Java in OS X is shit. Jobs promoted it in the beginning as THE Java OS, but it is still slow, slower than on Windows.

With every bigger update, they told Java support is going to be better, but most Applets still don't work right.

10.2 is supposed to improve a lot of things in Java (again :rolleyes: ), so maybe we have luck there. But shelling out another 80$ is rediciolous... This was a promoted feature since 10.0

Back