Internet Sharing assining 169.xxx.xxx.xxx to Ethernet port

doowttam

Registered
I'm trying to share my aiport connection from my powerbook to a linux box through ethernet. I've turned on personal web sharing, and internet sharing on. From what I understand when you turn internet sharing on through ethernet, the mac should set its ethernet port to the address 192.168.2.xxx, and then act as a DHCP server from there.

My problem is, when I turn on internet sharing, my ethernet port is set to the address 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. And then, its also not giving an ip address to my linux box.

Why isn't internet sharing setting up the ethernet port? What am i missing?

doo,
Whenever I get that internal 169.254.etc address, I turn everything off. Then, in order, I turn on the modem followed by the router, followed by the computer. That way dhcp has a chance to assign correct addresses in the 192.168.etc range. Try it.

The problem is not that the powerbook is getting a 169. address. The problem is that the powerbook is supposed to be sharing its internet connection through the ethernet port, and therefore giving out ip addresses through that port, but instead its giving its self a 169. ip address and not giving out addresses. Shouldn't the powerbook act as a DHCP server when its set to share its internet connection?

Only if you tell it to be a DHCP server as well. Otherwise all you've told it to do is route between its interfaces.

bootpd is the dhcp server included with OS X, apparently (from a brief skim of the man page) it gets its config from netinfo.

Back