Internet sharing under Panther

Macmanlex

Registered
I have been using internet sharing since I upgraded to Jaguar 1 year ago and it has workeed flawlessly since. I upgraded to Panther Friday at about 1pm (Since I got it from Macmall Overnight shipped) and ever since I have been unable to share my internet connection.

I proceded to Call Apple Tech support on Sat. After about 20 mins. of them going over everything I have already tried They proceded to tell me to try doing an archive and install. and after all of that..... no luck. Here's the skinny. I have a iMac 1Ghz with 512 Ram and a Cable modem connection. I have the Cable modem feeding into a Linksys Ethernet Hub there I'm going to a PC running WinXp and my Panther-iMac.

If anyone has a fresh perspective on this please let em know.

Macmanlex@mac.com

Did you try to clean install? Backup important documents, Erase, Install, Test...

Although, not the boxed Panther, I have problems with the "developer" 85 build of Panther with the VPN client which could not be solved no matter how I installed my "special" Panther version :mad: But in your case may help you solve your problem!

I guess I'd like to be sure I understand -- this connection doesn't sound like internet sharing (at least not like it is meant in the network prefs). Does either the cable modem or the "hub" provide the IP numbers for your computers, or has your cable co. given you two IP numbers? Or, is what you call a hub actually a router that does the connection to the cable system for you and then provides DHCP service and a firewall?

The Hub is just a Hub.. not a router. so I am prvided 1 IP address from my ISP and I use that on my Mac. Then I (Under Jaguar) turned on Internet sharing and it used a DHCP inside jaguar to provide a IP for my pc. In other words the Mac then acted like the router and it worked perfect.

I have almost the exact same problem as Macman, I'm sharing my Airport connection through a hub to another machine. AFAIK I entered the same settings I had under Jaguar, but it's not working...

I have the exact same problem. I did a clean install of panther and now I can't share my internet connection anymore. Well, at least I'm not the only one with this problem...

It may be that the Windows machine is "stealing" the IP address before the Macintosh can take it, which would prevent the Mac from obtaining a valid IP address and keeping it from accessing the 'net. Does the Windows machine access the internet fine when the Mac cannot?

I would suggest ditching the hub in favor of a router. That way, you can connect something like a maximum of 255 different computers to one connection. I've got this setup and it works flawlessly with my G4, a Windows 2000 Pro machine and my Xbox. Routers can be had for $40 - $100, usually around $50.

iMac DV+ 450 MHz
PowerBook G4 Titanium 667Mhz

Cable Modem
6pin to 6pin FireWire cable
Ethernet Cable

Coax cable -->Cable Modem -->Ethernet cable -->iMac -->FireWire -->TiBook

iMac and TiBook configured with Built-in FireWire via DHCP (in System Prefs/Network selected Show: Network Port Configurations. Clicked the "New…" button and selected Built-in FireWire).

On the iMac, Internet Sharing is set to share the connection from Built-in Ethernet to computers using Built-in FireWire. Working like a champ…

Uh, oh yeah. Upgrade and Install preserving Users and Network settings from 10.2.6 to Panther. Just received Cable Modem yesterday. Was previously on dialup.

when I've started to use Panther, I've had similar problems. Are you sure you don't have an enabled Firewall? (This, in its default settings, prevents Internet Sharing in Panther.)

I don't use "Internet Sharing" for the LAN in my home, I use IPNetShareX which is a front end to "gnat" (standard on BSD systems) and also "ipfw" (a BSD firewall under BSD). The software has worked just fine using a modem configuration and as of last week a DSL modem. 5 Macs, a Windows 2000 and a SUN Sparc 5 machine run through this G3 NAT/Firewall machine.

Back