iPhone?

Jermsmingy

Registered
Hey guys this is weird. Go to www.iphone.org Isn't that weird how it goes to the apple site. I don't know if someone could have bought the domain name and redirected it to apple just to fake everybody out but it is still interesting. Maybe, who knows? this may be why apple, sun and ericsson are teaming up.

well, netsol whois says apple owns it!

Registrant:
Apple Computer, Inc. (IPHONE11-DOM)
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
US

Domain Name: IPHONE.ORG

Hehe... who ever thought we'd see an iPhone? I didn't see this one coming.... You know Steve said he'd like to take on companies like Sony which make a variety of consumer products, rather than Microsoft. Maybe we'll see an iPhone soon...

either that, or Apple's just making sure the "iWhatever" trend remains in their domain. (pardon the pun)

I typed "whois iphone.com" into the terminal and it came up with this:
[cs2426233-119:~] wdw_% whois iphone.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: IPHONE.COM
Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS1.NACIO.COM
Name Server: NS.NET10.NET
Updated Date: 08-nov-2001

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:09:22 EST <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

Seems Apple is has iphone.com registered with Go Daddy.

wdw_: It's iPhone.ORG , not iPhone.com . There's a big difference. The actual registrar of iPhone.org is Network Solutions, Inc., at www.networksolutions.com . You need to be a little more alert, wdw_. :)

Also, I've known about this for a WHILE. This URL has been redirecting to Apple's webpage for about half a year, if not more. I doubt Apple's going to be releasing an iPhone anytime soon....

yeah. not going to happen. unless it's going to be a UMTS phone, which still is a bit pointless with so many networks around the world. :)

CDMA would only be fun for the US while GSM would be fun for the rest of the world, but I don't believe it makes much sense to release an iPhone right now.

But let's think about it all the same. *If* Apple would release an iPhone, it must be considered as part of the Digital Hub strategy. Now this only makes sense if it can double as an MP3 player for example. And as an AirPort Base station. Hehe. Imagine a shared UMTS data line out in the green. Five people surfing the net while getting a nice tan or something. :) Much too expensive of course, those phone bills. But who cares? :) I do.

I do remember some time ago hearing about a possible Apple project for messaging. I think it was supposed to have IM's, internet phone, and some other stuff. Don't quote me on this but I believe it was supposed to be a better version of AIM with move phone features.

Maybe im going out on a limb here but maybe they just registered it so that anyone typing apple like product names will get directed to apple. its like a compnay whos web address is test.com registering tist.com also so that people that can't speel goode can get to the site alright.

patent search turned up this. There are others by At&T and others. it's OLD and I even included applications and all patents worldwide in the search.

Notice the "claim" and at the bottom it lists a reference in the Apple Hypercard User's Guide:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: USD398298: Computer display with an iPhone window

Inventor(s): Giordano, III; Joseph, Redwood City, CA

2 pages

Applicant/Assignee:
InfoGear Technology Corporation, Redwood City, CA
other patents from INFOGEAR TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION (approx. 2)
News, Profiles, Stocks and More about this company

Issued/Filed Dates: Sept. 15, 1998 / June 3, 1997

Application Number: US1997000071618

IPC Class: 1402;

Class: Current: D14/488;
Original: D14/114.2;

Field of Search: D14/114,114.1-114.9 D18/24,27 D10/011 D19/006 395/326,339-40,347-57

Attorney, Agent, or Firm Glenn; Michael A. ;

Primary/Assistant Examiners: Tung; M. H.;

Family: Show known family members

Forward References: Show the 7 patents that reference this one

U.S. References: Patent Issued Inventor(s) Applicant/Assignee Title
USD296114 6 /1988 Wells-Papanek et al. Xerox Corporation Icon for PC emulation window or the like
USD296339 6 /1988 Wells-Papanek et al. Xerox Corporation Icon for freehand drawing softkey display or the like
USD296763 7 /1988 Holmstadt et al. Wagner Spray Tech Corporation Paint applicator or similar article
USD297243 8 /1988 Wells-Papanek et al. Xerox Corporation Icon for a property sheet or the like
USD298753 11 /1988 Berg Time/System International ApS Keyboard replica image for computer display screen
USD299142 12 /1988 Berg Time/System International ApS Keyboard replica image for a computer display screen

Claim: The ornamental design for computer display with an iPhone window, as shown and described.

Background/Summary: Show background/summary

Drawing Descriptions: The single FIGURE is a plan view of a computer display with an iPhone window.

Description of Preferred Embodiments: Show description of preferred embodiments

Foreign References: none
No patents reference this one

Other References: Hypercard User's Guide, Apple Software, screen, p. 17, 1988.
Mastering WordPerfect 5.1 for Windows, Sybex, window screen, p. 1054, window screen, p. 941, 1991.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back