iPhoto 2 crashes after Library loads

fmaier

Registered
I tried to import some photos from an old IPhoto 1.0 Library and got it to import a couple. It then crashed and I haven't got it back stable since.

I threw away the preferences and that didn't help. I then reinstalled iPhoto 2 and repaired permissions. Still crashes.

It starts up and I get to where the Photo Library is displayed and it will crash in about 3 seconds. I can see the photos I just imported (at the bottom of the Library) and then it crashed.

I went in and deleted (using the Finder) the last 4 sets of imports (imported from the HD) and it still crashes.

Any ideas?

Fred

10.2.6 G4-350 mhz Sawtooth - 1gig mem. - About 1100 photos in Library

Here's how I got it to working.

I renamed my "iPhoto Library" (in user, Pictures, ) to "iPhoto Library Test".

I threw away my preferences (in user, Library, Preferences -"com.apple.iPhoto.plist").

I then started iPhoto and it loaded without crashing, but with a empty Photo Library.

I remembered that on the last import that I performed, I rotated the picture and then iPhoto crashed never to load again without crashing.

I then quit iPhoto.

In the folder - user, Pictures, iPhoto Library, Albums - there is a file called "Pending Rotation". I copied this file from my new blank iPhoto Library and pasted it in user, Pictures, iPhoto Library Test, Albums - to replace the one already there.

I then renamed the new "iPhoto Library" to "iPhoto Library Old". I then renamed "iPhoto Library Test" to just "iPhoto library".

When I restarted iPhoto, it loaded up OK ( reading the "Pending Rotation" from the one I had just copied to my Albums folder) and loaded my original photo library and worked without crashing.

I then put the "iPhoto Library Old" in the trash.

I assume that when it crashed trying to rotate the picture, it corrupted the "Pending Rotation" file. There is also a file in the Albums folder called "Last Import" that you might have to replace if you last import got corrupted.

Fred

Ever since 10.2.6 my iPhoto is locking up right after I launch it. I just reinstalled OS X (archive option), ran all the updates and iPhoto ran perfect once - now it is back to freezing when it opens (wheel spinning endlessly). Any ideas? This is really pissing me off - I use iPhoto for all my digital photos, but now I am locked out of it and them. I thought I could depend on Apple for managing all my photos, but I don't want to wait for 10.3 to fix whatever problems they are having here.

Back