IPhoto - Thumbnails not displaying

theboards

Registered
Hi

My wife has been attempting to export our 2007 photos from iphoto to CD to print at Jessops, unfortunately, iphoto now does not display any thumbnails under the 2007 folder in the sidebar. I have asked her what on earth she did, but she is unable to remember, apparently she was mucking about with it for some time. I have several folders on the desktop entitled Roll 5 - Roll 69, but when I attempt to import them I get an error "Unreadable Files: 1. The following file could not be imported. (The file is in the iPhoto Library folder.) /Users/jboard/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Roll 69". When I browse this directory structure I see the .jpg files under /Users/jboard/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data, Originals and where appropriate Modified. I tried renaming the folder /Users/jboard/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Roll 69 to /Users/jboard/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Roll 69 BACKUP and tried re-importing the folder but I got the same error as above but with the modified folder name. Does anyone know what to do to recover this?
P.S. I have tried rebuilding the Photo Library using APPLE + OPTIONS on startup but this did not fix it.

Regards

Jonathan Board

Look in the Apple knowledge base support for rebuilding the library, Look here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107947) and scroll to the bottom. It will give you an option for manual rebuild -- try that. You may well end up with duplicates, but it is better than nothing I ended up with four of many photos, but did get back what I had lost, so was happy anyway).

The cause of your problem may well be having been mucking about in the library in finder. Doing so will result in corruption and/or lost photos. If you rename, reorder, etc in that library, you are asking for trouble. Do anything and everything to/with your photos from within the app itself. Use the export function from within the app to create a folder on your desktop and then burn a CD for processing from there. Not sure exactly what your wife did, but if she tried to go from the finder, that was the cause. Hopefully somebody will have a fix, if the rebuild does not do the trick.

Good luck!

I followed the manual procedure as detailed in the document except that I searched in the iPhoto Library/Originals to avoid duplicates and it worked. I now have all my photos in a nice new iPhoto Library and it seems that all I have to do now is weed out those that I don't want, edit those that need it and re-do my keywords and albums.

Thanks

Back