iPod / iTunes problem

dave25

Registered
Anyone able to help with the following problem? I've just bought my daughter an iPod for her birthday, but having loaded it up with all the tracks in our iTunes library we'd like to delete some of them from the iPod. According to Apple's documentation this should just require us to select the iPod from within iTunes, click on the relevent track and hit delete. However, although I can select the iPod within iTunes and see a listing of the tracks, I don't seem to be able to select any of the tracks - they're partially "greyed out". Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm using iTunes 3 by the way.
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice

This is a guess, but it is my suspicion that the current (v1.1) software for the iPod is not quite 100% compatible with iTunes3, or vice versa. It is widely known that a v1.2 iPod software update is in the works, which probably includes support for the new 20GB iPods, iTunes3, and may include full AAC audio support. I believe this will not be available until the new iPods ship, sometime later this month. Again, just a guess...

In iTunes select the iPod from the Source List and then click on the iPod button in the bottom-right corner of the iTunes window (by the EQ and Visualization buttons). Click on "Manage playlists manually"(or something like that, going from memory here). You should then notice a disclosing triangle next to the iPod in the Source List. Clicking this triange will reveal the individual Playlists on the iPod. You should be able to remove individual tracks from the iPod now.

Brilliant, thanks!! I had neglected to select the "Manage manually" option.
Many thanks for your help.

note, however, that if you still want things to automatically synchronize all the time, but you just want to keep a few songs off the iPod permanently, just "uncheck" the song in your iTunes library, and then synchronize. Even better. Unchecked songs do not get put on iPod

Back