iPod shuffle case - huh?

Ceroc Addict

Registered
I see a number of manufacturers releasing iPod shuffle cases/protectors. Is there any point to this at all? I mean it's a flash drive, with no display and some of these cases cost about a third of the price of the 512MB shuffle itself. :confused:

Kap

They're FLASH-based; it's not like you're going to cause much if any damage from a drop. Even from an extreme height.

I think it's just the next step of personalising things.

But if the case then gets scuffed and costs such a significant portion of the device it is intedned to protect, isn't it pointless? If these cases are going to be used for designer personalization, thereby increasing their sentimental and aesthetic value, will we eventually see cheaper cases that will protect these higher value cases? Will the iPod shuffle eventually be encased ad nauseam?

I'm more concerned by the sheer waste of time/effort - all the accessories I wish existed for the iPod (but don't yet) and manufacturers are going around creating shuffle cases. :confused:

Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
I'm more concerned by the sheer waste of time/effort - all the accessories I wish existed for the iPod (but don't yet) and manufacturers are going around creating shuffle cases. :confused:
Huh. I was under the impression that the iPod enjoyed a huge amount of accessories... what, specifically, are you interested in that we don't have access to now? I mean c'mon... if we have iPod socks, what more could possibly need?!?! ;)

The shuffle costs $100, base price. Some of these cases cost $30--doesn't make much sense to me in the least! :cool:

MDLarson said:
Huh. I was under the impression that the iPod enjoyed a huge amount of accessories...
It does, but that doesn't mean there aren't significant gaps.

MDLarson said:
what, specifically, are you interested in that we don't have access to now? I mean c'mon... if we have iPod socks, what more could possibly need?!?! ;)
  • An attachable thumbboard that would let you add/edit contacts, alarms and text notes on the go
  • A way to connect an iPod to a mobile phone, so the phone could use the iPod's hard drive (for video, etc)
Kap

P.S. Actually, the biggest gaps in my wish list aren't accessories at all - they're stuff I wish Apple would get around to doing - e.g.
  • stop crippling the quality for sound recording,
  • add a color screen to the iPod mini,
  • get that new iPod photo camera accessory to work with normal iPods,
  • add video capability to the iPod photo,
  • add Ogg Vorbis support,
  • release the iTunes music store in Australia,
  • allow infinite sized text notes,
  • add BT
  • add labelled chapter markers to iTunes/iPod

Why even question it? There's plenty of useless add-ons for any popular gadget that's out there. So they think they have a niche market with iPod Shuffle cases... then so be it.

Don't see the purpose in it, then you're not the market they're shooting for. If you see a use for it, then you'd buy it.

Nothing new. Marketing at best... people will buy what appeals to them. Trying to find the sense behind each and every gadget, product... you'll be closer to insanity no time flat.

acrylic stands for G4 Cubes comes to mind immediately on the "WHY!?" list for me.

Ceroc Addict said:
  • An attachable thumbboard that would let you add/edit contacts, alarms and text notes on the go
  • A way to connect an iPod to a mobile phone, so the phone could use the iPod's hard drive (for video, etc)

That thumboard, though useful, would need to be both bulky and expensive. The only real way I can see that it's at all possible is if it has some sort of personal storage (say 128MB Flash), downloads a file off the iPod, allows you to edit it (probably requiring its own display), and allows you to put it back.

The mobile phone one would be good, but not for the reason you want it. I think merge the two (and make it an Apple connection), allowing you to use the mobile phone as an input device for text notes etc., and allow swapping of contacts and alarms and calendars etc. Again, with so many proprietary systems of connections in phones, it'd really need to be Bluetooth based.

And I sure as heck wouldn't want it in-built into iPods, unless it was tiny and cheeeeeap.

Ceroc Addict said:
P.S. Actually, the biggest gaps in my wish list aren't accessories at all - they're stuff I wish Apple would get around to doing - e.g.
  • stop crippling the quality for sound recording,
  • add a color screen to the iPod mini,
  • get that new iPod photo camera accessory to work with normal iPods,
  • add video capability to the iPod photo,
  • add Ogg Vorbis support,
  • release the iTunes music store in Australia,
  • allow infinite sized text notes,
  • add BT
  • add labelled chapter markers to iTunes/iPod

• I agree. I would install iPod Linux if I didn't hate Linux, purely for this feature back. I want to be able to record lectures :p.
  • Colour schmolour. I expect that the next revision will have ten gig colour minis and six gig B+Ws, but that won't be for SOME time.
  • I agree, but empathise with Apple here.
  • Meh, not interested in the least with that.
  • Meh. Besides which, I think that's a PortalPlayer addition, rather than an Apple one.
  • Yeah, tell me about it >:|
  • Not something that I care about, text splitters work fine.
  • For the reasons I said before, I acknowledge that's good.
  • I guess this is relating to AudioBooks. Don't use them, but acknowledge that it's a good idea.

Back