Is Drive 10 a good app?

3mors

HampCake Studios
I read a lot of articles about Micromat Drive 10, but I'm not sure if it's a really good app or not.

Your opinion?

As of version 10.1.1.2, it's pretty decent. But if I had to pick just one utility, I'd go with Alsoft's DiskWarrior/PlusOptimizer CD. And they have an OS X-native version in the works, supposed to be about 6 weeks from release.

oh cool, I hope they also replace fsck.

What Alsoft should REALLY do is create a new filesystem which combines the advantages of HFS+ and UFS. In other words it would support all HFS+ attributes, FileIDs, b-trees while also having UFS fragmentation management qualities and also softupdates.

Originally posted by strobe
What Alsoft should REALLY do is create a new filesystem which combines the advantages of HFS+ and UFS.
Any new file systems much be supported by, and compiled into, the kernal, and it's unlikely Apple will allow 3rd party software into their kernal source. The only one that's capable of adding new file systems, is Apple - and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Dear All,

I bought Micromat Drive 10 and used it once. I was not impressed by it and it didn't come with a Defragging utility :(

Instead, I boot from a Norton Utlilities CD and do all my maintanace from there. It works fine for me. :)

Drive 10 (version 1.1.2) does have defrag capabilities under the Services menu. You can select Optimize and then whether to defrag files and/or disks. It can also rebuild Volume Structures like DiskWarrior. It can be installed to fix mounted volumes and partitions. It can boot from the CD in OS X to fix the boot volume. The next version of TechTool or DiskWarrior should be better but this does work today!

I thought that it came with partition utility as Partition Magic by PowerQuest on PC. I discovered that it's not so :( :( :( :(

Is there an utility like this on OS X?

If you are looking for software to change partition sizes without erasing the data I don't know of any for the Mac. There's a golden marketing opportunity for someone with the know how! :cool:

Originally posted by GrBear
Any new file systems much be supported by, and compiled into, the kernal, and it's unlikely Apple will allow 3rd party software into their kernal source. The only one that's capable of adding new file systems, is Apple - and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Assuming "much" means "must", that's 100% bullshit.

The Darwin kernel loads kexts using the firmware. That's why you can boot and root from disk controllers for which there isn't a driver for in the kernel, or even supplied for by Apple! If you want further confirmation check out the Darwin Dev list.

Back