Is there a way to save DVDs to the computer?

ziomatrixacs

Registered
Hey guys, I have a sony handycam (DCR-DVD-400 I think is the model number) When I go to run it on my iBook, DVD player opens up and plays the DVD inside of the sonycam. When I eject the camera, the cameras door that holds the DVD opens...leading me to think that the computer recognizes it as an external mini DVD player. (Perhaps its possible to download programs off of those mini dvds?)
I cant find a compatable driver, or any type of mac support for the camera. It also wont let me download the actual movie file from the camera to the computer. However, if I move a movie that I recorded with this camera to the mac from a PC, every program I have says it is not a movie file...but it is because it plays on a PC! Ironicly, the camera makes MPEG or MPEG-4 (cant remember) files
So I got to thinking...I have 2 choices. I could either use my PC to do video editing and use a program called iSquint to convert files to iTunes and hopefully be able to edit it in iMovie.
OR
Since the computer seems to recognize the camera as an external DVD player and not a camera, I think I might be able to use a program that allows me to take a DVD and save it into the computer. I believe myMOVO from download.com will allow me to do this... Im not sure though. Its a program designed to take movies from youtube, CNN, comedy central, ect and download them into iTunes to be sent to an iPod...but it saves as a podcast. It also supports DVD saving, but I havnt had the chance to test it out. If it doesnt work, is there any free programs that will allow me to do this?

You can use MacTheRipper or Handbrake to rip movie files from DVDs created on your camera. You really don't need to plug the camera in at all, just take the DVD disc from your camera and load it into the DVD-Rom drive of your iBook.

I've never heard of MyMOVO so I can't comment on it.

No! I can not do that!!!
I have Mini DVDs, and the slot loader on my iBook dislikes Mini DVDs!
Ill look those pprograms up though..

When you connect the camera and DVD Player loads, does the disc also appear on the desktop? If so, you should be able to use the same apps (Mac The Ripper, Handbrake, etc.) that you would use for regular DVDs.

When you copy the files on a PC, what is the file type? Have you tried playing it with apps like VLC? And do you know whether the PC program to copy them ripped the data straight from the disc, or re-encoded it on the way?

Yes, the DVD icon appears on the desktop and it seems to act just like a DVD.
The files on my PC come out at MPEG or MPEG-4.. I know it is a MPEG for a fact though.

I haven't heard of VLC.. I have tried flip4mac, real one, quick time, Divx, and iTunes. iTunes won't let me import ANY movie into it, even if it's from the internet. Im not sure why...probably copyright issues

The PC uses picturepackage to convert the camera info to MPEG. I believe its possible to copy a normal DVD to the PC through. When I attach the camera to any mac, (I have tried 3) they all open it as a DVD and play it. I am actually able to look inside the camera as a disk drive and pull pull out JPEG pictures but I have to navigate a labyrinth of ominous file names.

When I put it on a PC, some will say it can not be read, the file is full, and some other crap.

If I can find one of those programs mentioned up there, Ill download one and try it out.

I thought about using iSquint to convert it but then it would show up in iTunes and I don't think you can edit iTunes movies...

iSquint will convert it to a format you can open in any QuickTime-based programs, including iTunes, QuickTime Player, and iMovie.

VLC is a movie player that is NOT based on QuickTime. It has no editing functions, but it can play just about anything. Check it out at http://www.videolan.org/vlc

So have you tried Mac The Ripper on the disc when you have your camera plugged in? From what you've said so far it sounds like that should work. Handbrake would be better for if you want something you can open with QuickTime. (MacTheRipper copies the raw data from the DVD to your HD, whereas Handbrake converts the data to a more computer-friendly MPEG4 format, like I think your PC program does.)

I downloaded a bunch of programs today using the colleges band width..they havve some weird internet that goes at 200kb/s.. me likey! vs my 46b/s (yes, I did say b not Kb :) )

I got VLC and sure enough it played like a charm... iSquint did convert it over and it did play successfully...I am unable to try Hand break or mactheripper until I get home tonight.

So MTR makes raw files and HB converts it to Mpeg-4s? Say I want to edit it in iMovie, which would be the better program to use?

Wooo!
I got it to work...its not as pretty as it is on a PC...but it defiantly works!
I can do a few things now.. I can rip it with Handbrake or MactheRipper, or pull it straight off the DVD onto my desktop and convert it with iSquint... I love this computer! So easy to use! I just need more ram. I can also adjust the file size, which was only a dream with my PC. I can also play it straight off the DVD with VLC.

I can pull images off by going to the DVD icon > DICM and I can pull movies off by going to VIDEO_TS (not VIDEO_DS) Movies will show up as VLC icons.
I even discovered a cool little thing, if you have several thousand pictures on the same mini disc in the camera, you can Finalize the DVD and everything gets stuck as a single file. Not very useful, to have a movie plus every image on the DVD right? Well, if you use iSquint, you can make cartoons and still movies..which is very cool on an iPod.

is there a way to take a movie file and break it down into individual pictures? I know iMovie can take stills one by one but I would like a program that just breaks the entire thing into Jpegs. I would put them on my Ipod nano to play "video" :)

Hi, I've finally managed to transfer video from my Sony Handycam DCR-PC105E to my Macbook pro. I bought a DV/firewire lead from the Sony shop for £20. You have to put the video camera into VCR mode then go into the menus and turn the DV in/out to ON. The video hopefully, should appear in the imovie window and import from there.
I've spent ages trawling through forums for drivers for the camera when they are not needed. Hopefully this will work for other Sony camera users with Mac? Good luck.

Back