iTunes 4 questions

thenightfly42

Registered
I've been reading a lot, but I haven't installed iTunes 4 yet because I haven't figured out answers to these questions. Could someone help?
  1. If I rip a CD in AAC format, is the resulting file subject to the same Rights Management as the AAC songs from the Apple store?
  2. Is there any chance that Apple (or its new music partners) will inventory my existing music library to look for illegal MP3s? Also, could they do that with iTunes 3?
  3. If you burn an audio CD that contains songs from the Apple store, is it a regular audio CD or is there now copy protection on that CD? I've read some people trying to rip MP3s off of one of these disks, some report static and pops, others say its great.
    [/list=1] Thanks.

1. I dunno
2. they're gonna check every apple user's library, skimming through all the songs, just to see if they're using unpaid for music? No. Apple wouldn't care, Metallica, and record companies would.
3. Most likely not. If you own a cd, and you let someone else upload it on their computer, I dont think anything would happen.

1. no, I have tested it with freinds
2. no, you cant find "illegal" mp3s there is no watermark, nor whill there be
3. Its a CD redbook format, ISO 9660. There is no copy pertection.

Thanks CQ, just the info I was looking for. Now I'll just wait a couple more days for the bug reports. And Androo, regarding Item 2, it is a partnership, so I think that was a real concern; if Universal asks Apple to check, could they?

Everything under the sun is possible. The probability is what is more pertinent.

Apple has launched what it hopes will be the standard bearer in the world of online music. I am a fanatic when it comes to privacy, I don't order anything from amazon for that reason. I've read and read and read through Apple's privacy policies and they seem to be the best around.

Ok, so given the above, I seriously doubt that Apple is going to piss off its customers by spying on them for another company. What would Apple gain from that other than a one time payout. The first time a music company took an Apple customer to court would definitely be the end of the music store IMO.

There is an OUTSTANDING thread over at MacRumors summarizing all the information on the Apple Fairplay DRM. Clear answers to my 1 and 3 questions, and many questions I hadn't thought to ask. I feel very comfortable with this DRM.

I'll feel comfortable once I drop it to a redbook audio CD and can guarantee that I will still have my purchase even if Apple erupts in flame.

Back