iTunes must be open to share?

Gnomo

Registered
Does anyone know of a way to make iTunes library sharing work even if iTunes is not open? Like a separate daemon running for that?

Example:
I have the majority of my music stored on a Firewire drive attached to my wife's eMac. I play the songs on my iBook across the apartment, via Airport and iTunes sharing. However, if someone were to close iTunes on her eMac without my knowledge ... there goes all my music.

I know that I could simply turn on file sharing and mount the iTunes drive, but I would like to think of that as my last option (considering I don't know how that would work with music downloaded from Apple's music store).

Doesn't seem to work for me... I have to have iTunes open for my other machines on the LAN to see the library.

Or you could always just set up a simple Applescript/cron script to fire up iTunes on the hour, every hour (or whatever interval you desire) which would, in effect, keep iTunes open all the time.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Gnomo
Example:
I have the majority of my music stored on a Firewire drive attached to my wife's eMac. I play the songs on my iBook across the apartment, via Airport and iTunes sharing. However, if someone were to close iTunes on her eMac without my knowledge ... there goes all my music.

Back