Jagwyre Quartz Extreme News

I read this article too :) and was looking for commentary on it here because I'm not exactly sure what it will mean for a student developer like myself. I've always had mistrust for The Reg so what do they mean that a windows machine could use the shading of QE? That doesn't make any sense.

Originally posted by Koelling
I read this article too :) and was looking for commentary on it here because I'm not exactly sure what it will mean for a student developer like myself. I've always had mistrust for The Reg so what do they mean that a windows machine could use the shading of QE? That doesn't make any sense.

The article points you to an Apple PDF explaining the new OpenGL extensions. Download it and read it. You don't have to take the Regiter's word for it. Apple explains it better.

If you are a developer, this puts more arrows in your quiver as you develop the GUI of your project.

If you are a user, this gives you the promise of having some really nice new functionality in your applications. 3-D animated icons are just the start.

I tell ya, the sort of things Quartz Extreme makes possible should make the Aqua GUI the envy of any GUI yet made. Remember all those movies where we see hackers interfacing with the computers with a 3 dimensional interface, like in SwordFish or Hackers and we all use to chuckle cause we knew better than that.
Well this is the beginning of a whole breed of UI objects which may come to look much like what we saw in those movies and what we've never seen before.

Back