Java 1.4.x - Desperate.

sspooner

Registered
I'm a developer and I'm being forced off my mac simply because Apple are now too far behind in the Java stakes.

I've waited, and waited, and waited for Java 1.4 but so far nothing. No, of course, 1.4.1 is available for PC's.

At first I could muddle my way through and have some special files that get around 1.3.1 issues on my Mac (the rest of the office use PC's) but now they are using real Java 1.4 features.

I can no longer build on my mac and have to resort to VirtualPC to be on the same build as my colleagues.

This is very worrying to me. Apple needs to hurry up and get Java 1.4 out, it's getting beyond a joke now.

I know about the seed versions, but they are useless to me as we do not have seed access and are unlikely to choke up the cash as I'm the only Mac developer here.

This sucks.

I agree. Hopefully they'll get 1.4.1 released before Sun puts out 1.5. :p (I wouldn't be all that surprised if they didn't, at this point.)

This sucks.

I don't get it. MacOSX is Unix-based, so couldn't you just install 1.4 at the command line? Or are you saying the 1.4 JVM hasn't been ported to Darwin yet?

Yup, you're right. The Java Virtual machine is not ready yet for MacOSX. I don't know what the hold up is exactly, but it's annoying.

I'd rather get something out sooner and update frequently, but that's just me i guess.

Ya, Apples Java support is starting to piss me off. I want to deply EBJ apps on my box, but I can't figure out where to put the ejb.jar gne the all the javax ejb classes. They've stuck the java src way deep in the System folder!!! Not very easy to find at all!

Can any of you Java gurus help me with this. where do i put the J2EE stuff?

Originally posted by sspooner
Yup, you're right. The Java Virtual machine is not ready yet for MacOSX. I don't know what the hold up is exactly, but it's annoying.

I'd rather get something out sooner and update frequently, but that's just me i guess.

Bummer :( You'd think that porting the JVM from BSD/UNIX/Linux JVM to MACOSX would be easy seeing that they are apparantly closely related.

sspooner: When you find out about the 1.4.X MACOSX JVM, please let me know. Thanks.

Originally posted by malexgreen
I don't get it. MacOSX is Unix-based, so couldn't you just install 1.4 at the command line? Or are you saying the 1.4 JVM hasn't been ported to Darwin yet?

Apple licenses the Java Runtime from Sun and optimizes it for OS X. The final JVM is actually quite different from the Sun JVMs for other platforms. The Apple JVM includes many performance benefits and optimizations that are not availble for the other platforms - this mostly has to do with ability to "load once" and share many GUI resources, etc.

Considering how much I hate Java I think this is great ;-)

Anyway what incentive does Apple have to keep Java up to date?

Isn't there an open source version of Java available? I thought Netscape used their own implementation.

hmm, since i'm running linux i know there have been some issue getting 1.4 to work with apps that are compiled with apps that are gcc 3.x compiled.

the solution i had to go with was compiling java 1.4 from source. its a bitch and it takes forever, but you may want to consider it as an option if need be.

i dont even know if its possible on a mac so dont hold me to it, but since osx is gcc 3.1 based then i would think that this could be feasible.

if anyone does this, let me know if its possible. i'm curious as well.

Back