Java? chat? Coffee with your talk?

macmolina

Registered
Going back to the initial posting that I saw... does anyone know a work around to allow java-based web sites to load on OSX? I can load them on CLASSIC I.E 5.0, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to run them on IE, Opera, Netscape 6.2 or any other browser.

Please help. Switching from Classic to Native applications is annoying. Would love to have at least ONE browser that can handle jave the way the old OS9 used to...

Anyone else there agree?

C.

I think I can speak for most people on the board by saying this...

We are all waiting for a browser to come along that will get the job done.

Whether we're trying to do Java, Javascript, Flash, RealMedia, or some wierd 3rd party 3D virtual reality pool party plug in we need a well rounded browser.

IE seems to get some of these things done, particularly in the Java world. Netscape doesn't really do the Java I need it to do (http://www.bassdrive.com chatroom) and Opera doesn't really do anything Java, or Flash but it flies on all other occasions. iCab is doin' their thing as usual. (Which is great!) OmniWeb looks pretty, but I get cut out of too much Java/Flash stuff to stick to it.

Seems that we'll be waiting this one out. For now I use IE for Java/Flash stuffs, and Opera for everything else...

Yes, I know what you are saying. However, the issue is not that we, mac people of the world, have to deal with a substandard browser.

it's deeper than that. This is a function that was present, and is still available in the previous version of IE.

But I don't understand why it's not present in IS 5.1 for OSX. It's supposed to get "better"... not worse!

C.

I'm afraid Apple gets much of the blame for this. When OS X 10.0 was released, Java implementation was not very good at all. Apple realized this, and made working on it one of their priorities.
Unfortunately, Apple did not make it a priority to keep developers up-to-date on changes in ARJ. So although Java is said to be better in 10.1, developers have not had enough time to learn what has changed. And thus they have not had enough time to improve the use of Java in their software.
We can only hope that the situation will get better soon!
:rolleyes:

Well, now you can get Java working on Mozilla. It has not made it into Mozilla builds yet because it hasn't been fully tested. It can be found here http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88870

That is the bug in Mozilla about Java support on OS X. Here is the direct link to the plugin:

http://homepage.mac.com/pcbeard/MRJPluginCarbon-1.0d6.sit

Instructions are inclosed IIRC.

Be warned, however. This plugin is still being tested. I'm not sure if it works on Netscape 6.2, as I haven't tried it. I can tell you that it works with Mozilla for all my java needs. It should make it into the next Mozilla milestone - 0.9.6, and probably the next Netscape release.

Also if you find any problems with it don't flame me. I'm just telling you about it. I had no involvement in the creation of the plugin. If you find problems with it feel free to report them in the bug report. Ahhh the beauty of open source!

googolplex

Thanks dude~!~!!

I REALLY appreciate the input. I hope it works.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll check it out sometime tomorrow if I have a chance.

Thanks again for the headsup.

C.

Back