keyboard sound control problem... HELP!!

case

Registered
i have a problem with the sound control (keyboard + prefrences)

when using an app that plays audio(QT, iTunes etc) i can only control the volume from with the apps.
when i use the keyboard controls the segments go left and right,but has no effect.

Ive run the apple hardware disk and diskwarrior but both say things are running ok.

anyone experienced this problem or does anyone know a solution to the problem

im running OSX 10.2.6 on a G4 800mhz

Let me guess, you have USB speakers.

My Family had the same problem. It's some kind of bug. The only temporary fix is to go into sound in control panel and change output to internal and then back to USB Speakers.

Since upgrading to Panther they've had no more problems.

So get Panther and reap the benefits of the bug fix, not to mention your machine will be much speedier!

unfortunately i do not have any external speaker attached. otherwise i could indentify what it is.

what can i do to check all is well. (as i said - ive done diskwarrior & apple hardware cd)

all i know is one day it worked now it does'nt

Try this:
go to the hard drive>library>preferences. Locate the com.apple.soundpref.plist and trash it.
Empty the trash and go to the system preferences>sound and reset your options. See if that corrects things.

greetings Galadriel thanx for the assistance.
but sad to say that nothings changed, the only keyboard generated sound is the noise which accompanies the changing of volume.

I suggest you upgrade to panther. If that doesn't fix the problem then you can call apple, since you just bought panther. Explain that the keys don't work. They can troubleshoot it for you.

Back