Labels in X!

mindbend

Registered
I presume many of you have seen or even DL'd the new Haxie "Labels-X"? See versiontracker.com. I'm surprised nobody is ranting and raving about this. Am I the only one who loves labels?

Finally, real live labels, exactly like in OS 9. Label colors stay affixed when files are moved to external drives AND over the network. Cool!

It's not perfect, but 99% of what I needed it for. Flaws I've noticed:

Labels don't appear in dialog windows (would be nice, not critical)
Labels don't respond to Finder undo (so what)

Yippee!

I'm enthused about the Labels X because our production house needs them... but I wish it was just a part of OS X. I don't like the Haxies in general due to having to install the "Application Enhancer" that hooks into the system and allows any program to integrate with how ALL my apps work.

gregarios, that's actually a good thing under most circumstances. A little app called CocoaGestures is a nice example. It adds mouse gestures (mouse movement equivalents for menu commands) into all Cocoa apps (like Chimera, Mail, iCal...). Instead of having to do this on the app level for all apps, it can be done on the Cocoa framework level, while settings can still be app-specific.

Some of Unsanity's haxies have a somewhat similar goal, but it's doubtful that they'll have similar penentration since they leverage the APE thing and not pre-existing frameworks.

Back