LAN: internet access thru one airport?

ryanoceros

Registered
Hey there, I've got a LAN with five computers. We have an airport network (the hub is in the neighboring office - they've set us up with a temporary wireless network until our DSL is installed later this week), but only one of our computers has an airport card.

What I'm wondering is, since we have one computer that connect to the internet (wirelessly), is there a way to configure our (hard-wired) LAN such that all the computers can access email/web/etc via that single Airport-compatible computer's connection? Any help would be very highly appreciated.

-Ry.

Hmm, so long as all the computers are connected to the one that has the AirPort card, it should work.

The setup:
On the computer that has the AirPort card, open up the Sharing preference pane in System Preferences, and switch to the Internet tab. Select the AirPort card in the pop up for the Share your connection from: menu, and then check the Built-in Ethernet option in the To computers using: list. Then click the start button.

On the other computers, all you should need to do is have them connect via DHCP, and they should pick up the connection.

If you find that the other computers aren't able to go outside the LAN, you may need to set up a DNS server on the computer with the AirPort card. I don't think that's necessary, though.

Post back with any questions or if you have a problem getting it to work.

EDIT: LOL ^^ You must've been posting at the same time I was. I didnt see your post the first time I viewed. :eek:

I'm guessing that since the Airport card is in use, it should have an open network card. Go to System Prefrences and then Sharing, and then the "Internet" tab. Select the Airport connection from the drop down box and then check the box next the network port that is open (the card that dosent have anything connected to it). You will need a crossover cable (correct me if i'm wrong). And a hub. Connect the computer's network card to the Uplink port on the hub. Then connect the other computers to the hub. I'm not sure that you need a crossover ethernet cable, I know you do from computer to computer, but I dunno about computer to hub/router. That's another thing I'm not sure of. Wheter you need a hub or a router/switch. There is a difference. The 'server' (computer with airport) will need to stay on to allow other computers internet.

Definitely need the hub, but you don't need crossover cables with Macs. They handle that on their own.

Hmm, and you don't need a crossover cable going between computer <-> hub anyway, just computer <-> computer.

Fantastic. Thanks for the tip, Darkshadow. Now we're all happily free from the constraints of webmail. You're a lifesaver. :D

Back