LaserJet 2100TN problem ;(

sigex

Registered
I'm trying to connect a LaserJet 2100tn to an iMac using a crossover ethernet cable. I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Can anyone help?

I have a 2100tn connected via a switch and it works ok. I don't think i own a crossover cable so I can't test it, but it must work. Enable AppleTalk and add the printer in Print Center, then it should work.

I have a 2100N connected via a crossover ethernet cable. I had to get an adapter (Farallon iPrint) to have something to plug the other end into, though, which I didn't realise until I'd searched high and low on the printer to find out where to plug the crossover cable in, having been told it was plug and play (I'm a trusting, if rather stupid, soul). Then you just need to make sure that AppleTalk is active, in Network Prefs, like gumse says, make sure the printer is turned on :):ha::) and add it in the printer centre.

Assuming you've got it, if you're having trouble printing or seeing the printer, check that you can print in 9 (I'm assuming you're in 10.x and Classic?). If you can, you know that everything's OK in principle - I had to print out of 9 for weeks before I did something that made it work in 10.x, and I have no idea what did the trick, other than having to fiddle repeatedly with the settings (creating a new location to experiment with so I could switch back if I messed up) after I'd installed an ethernet card, until it worked.

Just a follow up,
I just visited a client who wanted to connect a 2100tn directly to a single iMac. He didn't have any cross over cable so I took a "normal" ethernet cable and it worked. I think (at least newer) Mac's detect the cable polarity and do a "cross" internally.

Back