Lighting

nb3004

Postmaster General
Which direction is the sun coming from in this picture. I can really, tell, i am going to insert a person into it and do not know which way to make the shadow face.

Attachments

• lighting.jpg
    lighting.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
I would say upper left and about midday as well, but he is under the trees, so he is catching a bit more shade, so placement of the person will have varying amounts of light.

Check out the statue in the background... I can see that light seems to be coming from the upper left as others say but it also is coming from a little further then straight left... think 3D... upper left, say 11:00 or 2:00, thats my call...

a little follow up, i inserted greg norman into the picture since that was the assignment but im not really sure on the coloring it just doesnt look right to me (maybe cause ive been looking at it for a long time now) does anyone have any suggestions for the coloring or levels of the inserted image

Thanks

Attachments

• shadowing2.jpg
    shadowing2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 15
Well, it looks strange for a couple of reasons. First of all, your perspective is off a bit; the figure in the foreground should be a bit larger. Second, as the sun is overhead, you should not have that shadow cast right and forward away from the figure. Third, the focus doesn't match in terms of depth of field...the figure in the front is not sharp enough; was the image of the man in foreground shot with a different device than the rest?

Another is that the shadows on him aren't quite right either. There should be shadows on the top of his hat from the trees, and possibly on his right shoulder as well.

Also, he's a bit too green. The reflected light on him, I mean. There's not that much green around him that would actually be reflecting light back on him at the angle the light is coming from.

Back