Linux Printing Help Please

Dave N

My OS X Goes to XI
I searched thru the past discussions and how-to's but couldn't find anything that answered my question. Sorry of this has been gone over before.

I have a: G4 733M MHz, OS 10.1.5

I want to: set up a Linux box to be a print/file server for Win98 and Mac OS X machines (these machines are in a NT controlled LAN).

So far I have:
1. Installed Mandrake 8.2 (ICE WM), and included the "server" packages.
2. Installed SAMBA and SWAT (and dependent packages).
3. Configured CUPS for the connected printer.
4. Configured SAMBA via SWAT to direct printing thru CUPS.

This allowed the Win98 machines to print fine, but I couldn't print with my Mac. Whenever it tried to send a print job, I would get a "connecting to printer" message, and it would just sit there. So, I decided that I needed to install something that would allow LPR printing.

So then I:
5. Installed LPRng.
6. Configured printing using "printtool".

This seems to have usurped printer control away from CUPS, but the Win98 machines still print fine (although they display "error" under the status column in the printers window). Unfortunately, I still can't print from my Mac. I think there is progress, because now I get a "queue not found" error, and I can hear the hard drive scratch for a second on the Linux box.

I've looked thru some online documentation, and assume that I need to set a permission in the lpd.perms file. I've tried a couple of things, but nothing works.

I know that the Mac can print, because I can print to a printer that has a network card in the office next door. I can also ssh into the Linux machine from my Mac and get root access, so I know the connection is there. To add insult to injury, I'm running VirtualPC on my Mac, and I can even print from there to the Linux printer! I just can't print from the Mac OS.

Any suggestions? I don't know a whole lot about Linux, or networking, so please keep that in mind!

Thanks.

Back