LOUD imac g5

ldoubled

Registered
this may have been asked before, sorry for the redundancy.

i bought my imac g5 may of 2005. a few months later the fan started to sound like an airplane taking off and the computer would lock up. this fixed itself once i updated to Tiger. soon after that, the fan would just be loud. not as loud as before, but still annoying. my apple care has expired (yeah im a moron). does anyone know what this means or what i can do? thanx!

ldoubled,

Welcome to MacOSX.com!

I guess the question is, How much are you willing to spend to get the problem fixed? I'm not sure what Apple would charge, but I'm sure their _minimum_ charge would be very roughly $100.

If you're in the US, you can call Apple at 1-800-275-2273.

Good luck.

Doug

If you bought the machine in May of 2005, your warranty goes to May 2006.

Apple's warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below:
Apple, as defined below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period").

Also, read this, the fan noise is a common problem;

http://www.geocities.com/uofr06/imacproject/

Go to the Apple Support site, and type "Reset the SMU or SMC" in the search window. The SMU (System Management Unit) or SMC (System Management Controller), depending on version, controls the fans, sleep, system resets, and a bunch of other things. I had trouble with my fans (iMac G5 iSight 10.4.5), resetting the SMU did it. Why it gets out of whack, I don't know. Try it, see if it works. BTW, I am using 1.5GB memory, no heat problems. Dale Meyn.

Back