Mac Mini Epson Printer Connection

Riverstone

Registered
I have an Epsom PX-V630 printer (a Japanese model) which comes with two types of connecting cable - one the standard USB and the other a scuzzi type with about 40 pins. The cable plug is labelled USB Printer Converter by-Direction. I can physically connect the printer to my Mac Mini (running Leopard) with this cable, but I get a "communication error" message when I try to print. Is it possible to use this port with Leopard so my wife can connect her PC (running Vista) to the printer's USB port? We were able to network the printer this way when I was running an older Mac with system 9.2. Advice much appreciated!

... We were able to network the printer this way when I was running an older Mac with system 9.2. Advice much appreciated!
This has been written about ad nauseum on this forum. If you network the printer, then you will need a CUPS driver to communicate with it.

Thanks - I'm slightly better informed having read that. However, my printer's behaviour is still odd. I have connected the cable to my printer's serial port, and the default printer appears as ATEN UC-1284B ATEN UC 1284B Printer Cable. When I try to print, I get the message "Printer is currently offline." I need to go back to the Print/Fax panel in System Preferences and choose the Epson PX V630 - Gutenberg driver in order to print. I click the "padlock" to lock this choice. It works. However, when I next try to print, I get the same message as before. And the printer name EPSON PX V630 appears in the print queue showing it as the printer in use. More fiddling in the Print/Fax panel to get it to print. Have I missed something here?

Back