Mac Mini for new Cocoa programmer

bauhsoj

Registered
I am considering the purchase of a Mac Mini in an effort to get familiar with programming with Objective-C. Would this be a good Mac to start off with for programming? Would compiling be particularly slow or fairly reasonable?

It should work fine. Just add more memory than 256 MB so that it will work faster.
To learn to do with Objective-C and cocoa, I think that will do it just fine - unless you need to run and test really heavy programs..
What is your computer system / experience etc now? I would think that for someone that wants to start to learn to think about programming, cocoa, os x it would be a good value option. The programming tools run for sure on the Mac Mini. :)

I have been programming for about 6 years. My primary expertise is with PHP as my job entails working on that the majority of my 110 hour work week. I also work with Java, JavaScript, and C++. I used to program with Visual Basic and C# in Visual Studio.

I am currently looking to write and test genetic algorithms and evolutionary programming, which is an area I am just now branching out into.

I used to have a Mac up until about the year 2000.

I had considered GNUstep for my objective-c needs but getting that working on Windows has been a royal pain. My company is also considering moving web servers to a Mac OS X server so I have added incentive to refamiliarize myself with the Mac before that happens, aside from my desire to learn a new programming field.

It will be enough for what you are going to do with it. And all for a price less than Visual Studio .NET :p

I had to stop using VB and C# because I ended up developing more headaches than truly useful applications. Having to write my own web based GUIs from scratch using PHP and HTML was far easier for me than dealing with Visual Studio's extensively mis-written MSDN documentation. Basically I would read one seemingly simple code example in MSDN, follow it exactly as written, and then find my code still not working. This ended up with me almost invariably pouring over online forum posts for hours trying to figure out why whoever wrote the MSDN library couldn't write code examples that work.

I had best stop here before I turn that into a full fledged rant. ::angel::

From what I have seen (so far) on the Apple Developer Connection, Apple hasn't made the same mistake of two different programming documenters writting conflicting code feature documentation, or writing documentation for coding that doesn't actually work at all as supplied. Hopefully this will remain the case as I start doing the actual programming beyond just reading documentation.

Thanks for the input. :)

Back