Mac OS X 10.3.1 soon

fryke

Staff member
Mod
7C103 is out in the wild, it seems. The beta also contains a new FireWire driver it seems. Update is only a few hundred KB. Guess we'll see it soon through SU.

Here's to hoping it doesn't completely suck. I just installed 10.3 and by god I have never seen such a monstrosity. :/

Am I alone in thinking that it feels incredibly unfinished? Did 10.2 feel this way at first?

most of the .0 releases felt a bit "unfinished". But don't you worry, once we get to about .6 or .8...Panther will be rock solid!

Gee, from all the stories, I'm actually glad I've waited to go to Panther. Though I'm still itching for Expose, but it doesn't sound as if it's worth the potential headaches to move up just yet.

"Though I'm still itching for Expose, but it doesn't sound as if it's worth the potential headaches to move up just yet."

Exposé is SO worth the risk. backup and upgrade, dude. Exposé is the best thing since sliced bread.

lol. Can you tell I'm a fan?

I just got 10.3 today! I don't know what the fuss is...I mean, I just installed Panther and it is fantastic. I love everything about it, the sidebars, Exposé, everything. I love it and it is running fine. I also got another 512MB RAM today, making for a total of 768MB, so today was a great day for me! Honestly though, from my perspective, 10.2 was just as bad if not worse than 10.3. Anything 10.x will never be rock solid. Around 10.3.2 or 10.3.3 you should be seeing Panther an absolutely must have. I see it as one right now :)

I don't get why people get the feeling Panther's unfinished. I mean, I know that FW800-drive-problems and File-Vault stuff is baaaaad, but the feel of the operating system is much more finished than Jaguar... Monstrosity? You must be one of the Brushed Metal haters... Think of the Finder as a two-mode view to your computer. A browser and the actual 'classic' Finder. Then it works, works fine and is great and finished. :)

I dunno, I still like waiting till 10.3.1 comes out and gets rid of some of the early gremlins.

I love Panther, and I don't feel like it's unfinished, either. Though, since I have a firewire drive, I'm not rebooting my desktop until that fix is out. ;)

(Unfortunately, I can't unmount it first, since one of the partitions on it I made into my swap partition, and the drive refuses to unmount.)

I think Panther's plain sweet.

though I am a bit dissapointed that more apps don't seem to be compliant right across the board, but then again, I'm probably being too demanding. ;)

I'm worried tho - I read someone else is having an issue with capturing in FCE - I have a project I have to do for next week, and that better work when I get home and try it now!!!

all in all, monstrosity doesn't come to mind. freaking cool does...

Panther is great. Very solid. Much more polished than Jaguar, which was decent, but a bit rough around the edges. Panther seems very refined actually to me. Surprisingly so. Bugs are bugs and will always be with us, but the general level of refinement is at OS X's highest.

Calling Panther a monstrosity is the most excessive hyperbole I have ever heard in the history of my life in all of the universe. Except maybe for that one.

Panther's idiotic decision award winner goes to: Startup Items now in the Sys Prefs Accounts screen. Huh? Could you bury that any deeper for me please? For the last time, just have a Startup Items option by itself in Sys Prefs (and don't call it Login Items, either). Just a small jab at a great OS.

Captain Code said:
Here's to hoping it has a new nVidia driver!

Hey Cpt. Have you tried this out yet?
sudo nvram boot-args="romndrv=1"

Reboot afterwards. Seems to have worked for quite a few people. Didn't see anyone specify that they were trying to get a nVidia GeForce2 MX working in a G4 AGP though.

YMMV

No, I haven't tried that. What does it do(besides write to nvram) and what can I set it back to if it screws something up?

If you have no other boot args set, then sudo nvram boot-args="" will unset it if it screws something up.

Dunno what it does, though, as I have an ATI card rather than an nVidia one.

(Edit: actually, if you had some other boot args set before running the command from the other post, it would overwrite 'em.)

I just installed Panther, about a hour ago, not only am i up and running as usual, Panther is just great. Things are faster, and the install went easier than i thought. What's on this 3rd install CD out of curiosity?

And expose is just great, I underestimated its potential, I can't see working without it in such a short time already.

Back