Mac OS X 10.3 Panther!

" Is there anyone with news, build rumors, screenshots, sounds, etc???

C'mon insiders! Give us some news! "

When we do...we re louzy people who shares "secret" and everyone blame us of not being able to shut up....we get censored ...and we get a lot of insult....and also...we take risk as well...when we don't you guys ask for info.....

Sorry..but you guys need to decide if you want us to tellyou stuff or not...and when you take a decision..please stick with it...

Thank you

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
10.2 just came out... you'll be waiting a LONG time to see anything regarding 10.3

7 months tops until 10.3 ships.

Apple releases major updates to the shipping retail package every 6 to 7 months after it has shipped.

10.1 came out in September 2001 after 10.0 came out in March 2001.

10.4 is the one that will take a long time to wait for. Possibly January 2004 and it will be a full upgrade and not a free update.

Panther will be a pay-upgrade. It's planned to appear in March 2003.

There aren't currently any builds of Panther floating around, mainly because ADC Select and Premier members haven't yet gotten their hands on any.

Early December will show the first pictures of changes.

And about those people that are shouting "If you are ADC you are NDA and doing something illegal if you tell us, or you're NOT ADC and are pirating illegaly." - Please accept that this forum is called Mac News & Rumours Discussion, and that ANY real information ANY rumour site (this one, too) is getting its hands on should NOT have leaked to the public in general.

According to Schiller, Apple usually follows a pattern of releasing a major free upgrade after a paid upgrade - ie, 9.0 was $99, 9.1/2 was free (s/h), 10.0 was $129, 10.1 was free (s/h). 10.2 was $129, so 10.3 should be free, except for shipping and handling.

I'm not as anxious for the next release as I was 10.2. I guess that's a testimate to how good 10.2 is - it delivers about 90% of what I wanted from my Macintosh OS.

10.1 was a 'pay-upgrade' whose price was taken down because Apple admitted that 10.0 wasn't all that good. They didn't want to hurt early adopters too much. But as you're saying, too, 10.2 is a good full version. Panther will be the next full upgrade. There will be others for free, and Panther might even be dubbed 10.4 or 10.5, because Apple may want to name a smaller update 10.3, but Panther is will be a full upgrade like Jaguar was.

The anticipation of Panther will also get higher once we know about the feature set. Jaguar wasn't really anticipated until we knew about it, right?

Originally posted by fryke
10.1 was a 'pay-upgrade'
No, it was not. Apple specifically instructed retailers to give it away free. Apple's own retail locations gave it away free. Most retail locations allowed you to burn as many copies to CD-R as you needed.

10.1 *WAS* a 20$ upgrade until some massive backlash from the community reached Apple.

Once the backlash had started, THEN Apple shipped copies to retailers. Stores were originally never planned to carry 10.1 except for the full version.

I have what I guess amounts to a pre-beta of 10.3.

I think Apple's going to have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse because the System Pref panel for the keyboard and mouse have a dimmed out Establish Connection button with that funny bluetooth symbol.

It looks like many more applications will be Rendezvous enabled: Address Book, iPhoto, iTunes. Too bad not iMovie or iDVD, but I guess those aren't library-oriented programs like iPhoto and iTunes are.

Finder windows are more aware of files being added to them from the BSD layer (like the terminal)--finally.

iChat's already been improved, but I wonder if they'll release that as a separate download before 10.3. I hope so.

Apple Data Detectors are back! For those who don't remember, ADD lets you select some text, right click (or control-click, whatever) and have some ADD's that do some pattern matching and present a menu based on that. For instance, hilite a paragraph with an address for instance, and you could get two contextual menu items such as Add to Address Book or Map with Sherlock or whatever.

It's not any faster yet, but give 'em a break we're basically talking about vaporware here.

-Rob

There are not yet any builds of Panther. Plus ADD is back in Mac OS X ever since... Hmm... NeXTStep or something. They're simply called 'Services'.

Well stomp on frogs and shove a crowbar up my nose. :eek: (A Garfield-ism) I guess I was making that up.

Though I don't think ADD has made it back in OS X yet, and certainly Services is not it, though it could be where it finally ends up. Why isn't the Services menu in all Contextual Menus yet?

-Rob

For what it's worth, Services were in the context menu in, like, one or two dev builds of Jaguar.

And no, Services and ADD are not the same. At all. ADD detects data types and assigns them to task categories accordingly, while Services just handle data when initialized by the user (either by sending data to an app or by receiving data, processing it and then sending it back).

Originally posted by Krevinek
10.1 *WAS* a 20$ upgrade until some massive backlash from the community reached Apple.

Once the backlash had started, THEN Apple shipped copies to retailers. Stores were originally never planned to carry 10.1 except for the full version.

It was *FREE*. If you were stupid enough to get it from Apple then you paid the shipping costs. Yes 20 bux sounds abotu right for people who are too lazy to walk down to the local Microcenter or CompUSA and pick up the free on themselves.

10.3 will be the same way. MacOS major updates are too big to distribute over the internet at this point. Incremental updates are easier though.

9.1 was the same way. It was huge compared to the 9.0.4 update. If you want to yap at anyone, yap at the people who control the pricing of the internet bandwidth and start demanding 1.5mbit connections for $14.95/month.

How do you "detect" a Bluetooth Keyboard and/or mouse if you need a keyboard or mouse to press the 'detect button' apparently 'grayed out' on the prefs panel?

LOL what came first, the chicken or the egg? :p

So, in theory, you'd need a pre-existing wired mouse to press the 'detect' button to use the Bluetooth versions. W00t! What a conundrum! >:p

Back