mac os X samba and printing

gunnerj

Registered
i was wondering if there is a way to print from a windows machine to a mac os X machine running samba ( ver 2.2.2 ). i have samba installed and working fine sharing files between windows, but i don't know how to share my printer. also, is it possible to print to a windows network printer using samba ( i hear it can be done with DAVE, but i don't want to buy it) ? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

As far as I know, DAVE is the only option for printing to Samba networks. The Samba X package has only the file-sharing features, and from their readme's I get the impression they intend to add printer sharing, but that will take some time.

Yes it is possible to print from a pc using samba, i do it. Although I am using Mac OS X Server, i think it should work still work in the other version. I'm not sure about the client version of Mac OS X, but I believe all you need to do is enable printer sharing, and then configure the PC. To add the printer on the PC, use the add printer wizard and choose "Network printer". Then, type in the address of the printer, eg. "\\192.168.0.1\HP1200" (the IP belonging to the Mac OS X computer and "HP1200" being the name of the printer being shared). Next, you need to install the driver for the printer. This was the most difficult past for me. The problem was that I was trying to use the drivers specifically for the printer when in fact I should have been using apple's laserwriter drivers. Once I change it to the generic Apple LaserWriter 23.0 driver, I had no problem whatsoever printing.

As for printing to a windows network printer, I don't know of any way other than DAVE, but you could share the windows printer using a different protocal. For instance, you could use Microsoft's AppleTalk drivers and install them on the PC, or use PC MacLan. I personally prefer PC MacLan.

Back