Macromedia MX 2004 Software Now Available

slo

Registered
They are finally released for those who want to download them.

So far what I have seen in Flash MX2004 isn't much different from MX, but I still have preformance tests of my own to run.

I'll let you know what I find.

It may not be worth an upgrade.

I want it, but at the same time, most users don't get the plugin for sometime, I will wait till December or January, but i do want to get a jump on the competition and start making more crazy things. But the browser plug-in seems faster on my G4, so it finally is better.

After quickly breezing through Flash & DW MX 2004, I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed with this upgrade. There was hardly anything new in either of them (at least on the surface). What was new seemed pretty unimpressive (the Flash Effects are lame, especially compared to what Swish can do).

I may just skip this upgrade alltogether....

Wow, I've been away for too long! 724 topics to read... :)

Anyway, I have some money owed me, should I use it to upgrade to MX2? I own Studio 3, and I'm 'borrowing" a copy of MX right now.
Really the only program I use is Fireworks, I gave up on Dreamweaver when I went back to hand coding (and loving it, BTW!). I've been doing some graphic design lately too, so would I be better served by buying Photoshop/Imageready?
I'm thinking of getting a Desktop Publishing App too, so Photoshop might integrate better with Indesign.... (I guess I just named about $600 worth of software, even with the educational discount...)

Originally posted by dlloyd
I've been doing some graphic design lately too, so would I be better served by buying Photoshop/Imageready?
Photoshop is still the graphics processing app. Nothing else comes close. All graphics professionals who know what they're doing use it. It's taken over functions previously offered by other apps like Debabelizer by taking over batch processing, for example.

I love Photoshop. It's gotten so that I'm teaching people who have been using it for 4+ years new tricks and techniques.

Photoshop is my Swiss Army knife like tool. I use it all the time, regardless the medium, video, print or web/interactive. It is a must have IMO. As far as MX 2004, that is going to be one of those things that pay of through the work i do, although I can buy it, I really don't want to pay full price. I'm on waiting for discounts with the purchase of a G5. As soon as Macmall comes with a bargain, I'm jumping on it all at one time. I saved about $400 to 500 last time.

Well, even with the education discount it is still $290... Can I do everything that I do with Fireworks on the Web with Photoshop? 'cause that is a lot of $$$ for me...

So what do you need to do dlloyd? I use Photoshop to slice my images for the web, take a look at my site, not a lot but you see what i mean. Photoshop is very useful and along with ImageReady, you can cover both print and web. I use GoLive for my coding, although most is done by hand, can't trust those programs, you enter one thing, the source will say another and cause all kinds of havoc.

Does anyone know if DW 2004 is faster than current MX version which is a dog – actually its more liek a sloth. It took over an hour to update a simple Library item linked to about 30 pages or so.

My Mac is a 733 Quicksilver with 1.25 GB RAM running 10.2.6 and DW v 6.1.

eric

DW is a killer when trying to deal with a large amount of files in the Site View windows, or when updating site wide.

Apparently much of the work gone into 2004 is speedy and bug improvements.

Well I've just downloaded the DW 2004 demo and it still seems unresponsive as before. Maybe I expect too much but when something says perfromance/speed enhancements ect, maybe they should only say that if it is actualy noticable and not 0.5% blah blah blah.

Hey its now faster, it now loads in 50.5 seconds instead of 60. Arrggghhh...

politics dont belong, sorry - Jason

Gotta get DWMX 2004 just for its CSS handling!

Yeah, maybe I'm missing something, but DW MX 2004s CSS handling looks exactly the same as DW MX 2002s. I'm not seeing any difference.

I'm not seeing any speed gains either on either my G4/1.25DP or my Powerbook G4/1ghz. Actually seems slower.

Overall, I'm still not impressed after my second day of noodling around with SMX 2004...

Can we keep the political insight out of these threads? I believe this forum has a place for political ranting in another thread somewhere on here....

Toodles.

Oops sorry, I meant to paste that elsewhere. Pays to check your post afterwards methinks.

Must be a Bush supporter... oops there I go again ;)

well he may have given a suggestion, but im giving a warning...

do NOT bring politics into this forum unless it is directly related to apple etc... thanks

Hey Jason

I said it was a mistake OK, and GENUINE at that, and I apologised. Isn't that the civilized thing to do?

eric

Now don't start flaming... :)
I believe you when you say it was a mistake (I didn't see the unedited post, so I could be wrong...) but no need to get mad at the mod, he was just making sure you understood what was up.

:)

And now back to our regularly scheduled program ' Macromedia MX 2004 Software Now Available'

I need more reviews. ;)

Back