Mail hung up on large message

RobinS

robins
This is turning into a nightmare. I try to send a message with OS X Mail and it looks like it goes out fine. Then a while later I notice from Mail Delivery System, the subject says Delivery Status Notification (Failure) and it just keeps on checking for email for days and days. The account seems to be frozen. What can I do? Its not receiving any email on this account though others are fine.

And why does the size appear when I'm sending pictures but not when I'm sending music?

The size when it gets sent is often 30% bigger than the actual size of the files that I'm sending. ??

If you're getting a Delivery Status Notification failure, then it is getting as far as your mail server but is not being accepted by the receiving server. Most email servers place limits on the size of emails that can be sent. A typical limit might be 5 to 20mb depending on how generous (And well funded) the system admin is.

For sending files back and forth, you have a few options. FTP is pretty much standard and widely supported and well worth looking at. You could also use a BitTorrent program (great for really large files, or sending to a fairly large group of people) or a service such as yousendit.com.

I also have issues with Mail when forwarding messages which contain pictures. It doesn't have to be large but if pics are present it takes 30s or more to appear in the new mail, during which time the annoying beach ball keeps spinning. Sometimes pics don't appear in the new mail unless I choose "select all" before attempting to forward. Annoying.

Guys I am having a similar nightmare like this. I keep getting Delivery Status Notification (Failure) but when I delete it I leave the mail folder it is in, and then when I return it is back again. I have three in one box and about 20 in another. I CANNOT DELETE THEM!!!! sorry to shout, does anyone have any advice? I have tried rebuild which does nothing, would reinstalling mail work out?

Guys I am having a similar nightmare like this. I keep getting Delivery Status Notification (Failure) but when I delete it I leave the mail folder it is in, and then when I return it is back again. I have three in one box and about 20 in another. I CANNOT DELETE THEM!!!! sorry to shout, does anyone have any advice? I have tried rebuild which does nothing, would reinstalling mail work out?

The message might be generated by your provider. These will be generated by then for a couple of days and then stop. Check the content of the message to see the reason why it was not delivered. Tis should give you a clue on why things keep failing.

Good luck, Kees

Remove the mails that dont' want to be removed from mail.app from the webmail?

That will usual not work for messages send, only for messages waiting to be retreived from the provider (and he has to support imap (used by webmail)). The message might very well not show up in the OUT box, unless you send it using WEBMAIL.

Good luck, Kees

Back