Mail SMTP Error....strange....

owaters

Registered
Hi,

I am trying to send email using Mail, however all emails I am trying to send are not going through my SMTP server.

I get the following 'Mail delivery failed' error:
The server response was: email client.

Can anyone help?

Well, I'm not sure about the U.K. but many ISPs here in America are blocking the ports to go to an external SMTP server (like mine :mad: ). You may want to check with your ISP to see if they are blocking said ports. Plus, check out the settings in your email application. The preference file maybe corrupted or settings may have forgotten by the software.

Hmm, I am not sure if that is the case with regard to the ISPs. I will look into it though.

The preferences all seem to be straight. Is there an easy way to see/find out if there is some corruption in the preferences file?

owaters said:
Hmm, I am not sure if that is the case with regard to the ISPs. I will look into it though.

The preferences all seem to be straight. Is there an easy way to see/find out if there is some corruption in the preferences file?

Now, don't you remember this conversation? ;)

I just remembered an incident that happened with me about a month and half ago. Apple's Mail was acting funny with my ISP SMTP server. The only fix I could figure out was to through out the old com.apple.mail.plist Preference File (in Users->username->Library-Preferences). The precaution I took was to make sure I had my Mail boxes (Users->username->Library-Mail) backed up. I know that sounds drastic, but it did work for Me. You may want to try that.

You must back up your mail boxes because when you trash that preference file, you lose all your mailboxes.

I had the same trouble suddenly. I found out that I have to send using my ISP's smtp server. Now my emails go out with no problem.

Cheryl said:
You must back up your mail boxes because when you trash that preference file, you lose all your mailboxes.

I had the same trouble suddenly. I found out that I have to send using my ISP's smtp server. Now my emails go out with no problem.

Cheryl - if was like my ISP, it had to do with some stupid Microsoft Server upgrade.

In Dubai, in order to get on the internet, you have to set up an account with the local ISP, Etisalat...

Obviously you then get a username, password and the details of the SMTP server...

However, I don't want to use the username I set up because it's not my business e-mail address, but if I try to circumvent it by using my business address with their SMTP server details I get the attached message (using Entourage)

It's a bloody nuisance and I don't understand the rationale... :mad:

Attachments

• address!.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 18
applewhore:

Your problem can be semi-easy to overcome. I to have Entourage and an email forwarding service (like the one MacOSX.com has) so email can follow me to whatever ISP I go to.

Now, you want Your email to have a return address of your business email? If so, I have a question for you. Does your business email have email (pop or imap) forwarding or web based access?

So, I use an email forwarding service (to receive email on my desktop) but I can access it almost any ISP. However, as I said before my current ISP only allows it customers to send (SMTP) email through their system. So to give an overview of what email system my ISP gives to it's customers.

Name on ISP account (fictitious so the sake of example)
Name: Joe Blow
ISP SMTP server: smtp.usa.ispname.net
ISP POP server: pop.usa.ispname.net
Joe Blows email address: joe.blow@ispname.net

Now Joe Blow runs a small Web site and that Web site gives Joe Blow another business email address webmaster@website.com. He actually has a physical business in town where he does his business email. Now when Joe Blow is at home at night (or during a bad weather event) but wants to send email to business contact from his home computer (because he is stuck at home). Joe wants the return email to go to his business email account. So in his home Entourage email setup (on his home computer) he went to Entourage and setup this account (to send business email from home):

In Entourage->Account Settings->New

Personal information
Account name: Joe's Business email
Name: Joe
E-mail address: webmaster@website.com

Receiving mail
Account ID: joe.blow
POP server: pop.usa.ispname.net
Password: (Joe's ISP password)
then he checked the box for "Save password in my Mac OS keychain"

The next Aqua button is for account setting a user might need if his ISP mail server require advance settings (which most users don't need).

Sending mail
SMTP server: smtp.usa.ispname.net

Again the next Aqua button has advance settings in. However this time in the the Advance settings f a user's ISP server require SMTP authentication for SMTP service a user would input the account info and password for authentication.

Lastly, Joe now sends business email from home (using this account Joe set up home) and the recipients of this email see a return address of webmaster@website.com. Joe is going to receive the return email at home but at his job site computer. Joe then decided he wants to web commute from home. So he sets up his business email server to forward all his email to another email account. So he setups his business email to forward all mail received to webmaster@website.com to foward to joe.blow@ispname.net. Joe now sees all business email coming to his home account and using the new Entourage setup (described above) all the email he sends out with that account the end customers see it coming from webmater@website.com (This is exactly what a .Mac or .MacOSX email service can do).

Joe in the future is going to setup at his business a SMTP server that can be accessed from most any site on the net (with password setting of course). This way Joe can set Entourage to use that email server from anywhere in the net world. But that is in the future after joe finds out his current ISP allows customers to access SMTP servers outside their domain (if they did not block the port that SMTP servers use).

Applewhore I hope this helps you in setting up Entourage. Remember though, please don't post you full email address on any web site in plain text like joe.blow@ispname.net. Post it like Joe Blow.

Satcomer said:
applewhore:

Your problem can be semi-easy to overcome. I to have Entourage and an email forwarding service (like the one MacOSX.com has) so email can follow me to whatever ISP I go to.
Hi Satcomer

Thanks for your very detailed reply - I'm sory not to have thanked you earlier but this week has been fairly crazy!

I've tried everything you mentioned, but it's still not playing nicely. Fortunately I'm leaving Dubai in a couple of weeks and won't have to worry about this problem any more!

Thanks anyway, much appreciated

All the best

Ed

Back