Making AVI's into DVD's

sappleton

Registered
I have tried this simply by using toast but it takes forever and comes out really bad quality, is there a better way of doing this?

Not really. The main problem is that your AVI-files probably are of a resolution _near_ a DVD's. Let's assume your AVI is 640 pixels wide, then Toast has to scale it with a factor of 1.125 (to 720px), which isn't really "good". You'd get better results by scaling _down_, of course. Then you have to see that both your AVI (probably DivX or XviD?) and the resulting MPEG-2 video are highly compressed formats, which means that some information is simply missing. In the original AVI you might sometimes see so-called JPEG-artefacts, mainly in darker areas. If you uncompress this and recompress it differently, you'll _always_ end up with an even lower quality, even if theoretically a DVD's MPEG-2 _is_ the better format. Transcoding, generally, is a bad idea.

I had the same problem. What did I do? I went out and bought a DivX-capable DVD player for almost nothing. (I believe it was around 50 dollars.) It plays most of the DivX and XviD AVIs I have. And I also save muuuuuch computer time. As well as money, because the AVI often fits on a CD-R, which is still cheaper than a DVD-R. Or I can pack more video on a DVD-R. Nice solution. I really, really hope that in a couple of years *ANY* cheap DVD player will simply _have_ DivX support.

Hi,
I ran across this thread through a google search. Anyways, I am having the same problem, and I'm glad I'm not crazy. The solution at least is simple! However, I'd like to know how you make the disks for viewing the avis on a DivX-enabled DVD. Using Toast, that is. Because either way I make them, it takes forever, be it DivX disk or DVD video. (I mistakenly tried the DivX disk option first!) Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

I simply create a _data_ disk (readable by both Macs and Windows) and put the file on it. Creating a video disk (Toast speek) does not really help here. Toast 7 can create a DivX disk, and you can choose the option to never re-encode anyting, but that's not needed in my experience. A data disk with the .avi's not nested in folders always worked fine for me so far.

Oh, old post..
I think what you need is DVD Creator for Mac - The Mac DVD burner can convert popular video formats such as MPEG, DivX, WMV, XviD, DV, VOB, AVI to DVD and burn DVD movie to be played on portable or home DVD players.

Back