memory question

case

Registered
Hi all

im sorry for the ignorance in this question but...

are PC133 SDRAM (168pin) used in macs AND window machines?

the reason i ask (apart from not knowing) is that my partner is after some CHEAP 512mb ram to put in her 800mhz quicksilver mac.

we've looked on ebay and have seen some toshiba (amongst other) ones, but we were afraid that they were for "PC" desktops as opposed to macs; also, i wasnt aware of toshiba memory for the mac.

can someone clarify what to look for when buying mac memory from ebay and the differenc (if any) between memory for mac and pc.

thanx to all that can help.

Generally it's the same, though some brands aren't made to as high of standards (quality) as others and do have issues in a Mac.

I've put PNY, Kingston, Mushkin, and a few other name brands in various Macs over the years without issues. Apple actually uses Samsung branded chips as their stock supplier.

If you do go with something you don't get from MacSales/OWC, Crucial, or another reputable supplier that guarantees their memory to work...at least make sure you buy memory that is from a well known and respected manufacturer, and that you can return it (so e-Bay probably isn't the best choice).

Like mdnky said, it's generally the same. But it's always best to go with what's guaranteed to work in your system. I remember several years ago Apple released a firmware update that made a lot of "low-quality" RAM just stop working. So it's not all exactly the same.

http://www.dealram.com is a good place to look for bargains. They let you browse RAM by Mac model (with different sections for what's labeled as working in Macs and what just "should" work), and they list prices from many stores and of many brands. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable buying "generic" memory, but they have some good deals on Samsung, Kingston and the like, too.

http://www.crucial.com is very reliable and reasonably priced, but you'll find lower prices on DealRam.

Back