Memory Upgrade for iBook 933

jaamin

Registered
I was doing some thinking about how much RAM to upgrade on my machine. I am going to buy a PC2100 chip because I tried to install a PC2700 and it caused my machine to freeze. That being said, is it worth buying a 1GB chip or a 512 MB chip? I ask this because I am sure I will buy a new laptop in the next two years and am aware that most of them are PC2700 and won't be able to use this newly purchased chip. Or am I wrong? I would like to make the most use of the new chip by being able to use it on a newer machine, but it's not a dealbreaker. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Within two years, you almost _certainly_ won't be able to re-use the chip you buy now for your old (G3) iBook in a new notebook. So what you buy will probably be sold with that iBook one day. Still: RAM is important in OS X, and you'll certainly notice the 512 MB difference. It'll also make the iBook easier to sell one day.

I doubt any models released after today from Apple will accept standard DDR RAM anymore. They'll probably all be on PC2 from now on, or possibly something better that's not here yet.

The more RAM you have, the happier you and your iBook will be. Just make sure you buy it from a reputable supplier (reputable brand also). OWC/MacSales has the 1GB Samsung chips for $139.99 and some other brands for less. The Samsung chips are what Apple installs from the factory. However they guarantee everything they sell will work with your Mac (plus lifetime warranty) so any of their chips would be a good choice.

Back