midi files in garage band...

Shystie

Registered
I have a midi file that I can't figure out how to use in GarageBand.

The help file says drag and drop but that's not working. If I could get at the program files of GarageBand I could see what kind the loops actually are.

s

All MIDI files that I drag and drop on the GarageBand main window attempt to work, although my over-burdened iMac G3 will not actually open any MIDI files with more than 8 tracks, which many are.
What exactly happens when you try this? Do you get an error message of some kind?

SuperTyphoon said:
I wouldn't expect a G3 to handle midis very well...

Yes it should but I think he's referring to multitrack MIDI sequences. It's possible that GarageBand has a lot of overhead for the G3 to handle (since the G3 doesn't have AltiVec extensions like the G4 and G5).

Mind you, I've used other sequencing apps like Master Tracks Pro on hardware as old as a Macintosh LC, and it handles it fine. I think it might just be GarageBand, since Master Tracks Pro was a professional sequencing program that had about 64 MIDI tracks to use. Remember that GB is a consumer app. It's possible that something like SoundTrack would do more channels.

I know garageband is slow on the G5's at my school, and whenever you open a small little file it takes like 4 or more seconds to load.Overall garageband is slow and clumsy. Scrolling down the song in the clip view is agonizing, but that's what i would expect since macs have a problem with scrolling. It shouldn't be slow, for a program optimized for macs...

Oh well i could care less, because i used Cakewalk Sonar and pro audio, which allow you to do many more things, including create music from scratch.

Just my 2c...

Back