Molecules with Silly Names

Ack! Chemistry geek has an avatar! Excuse me while I clean up the coffee.
Only chemiostry geek could start a thread like this. Whats next, funny scientific names?

My favorite proteins are in the family known as Homer. Named after Homer Simpson, I believe (although I could be wrong). Needless to say, I just about fell out of my chair when I learned about the existence of these proteins!! They are ligands for glutamate receptors in case anyone cares (neuroscience_geek here). :D

Originally posted by macguy17
Ack! Chemistry geek has an avatar! Excuse me while I clean up the coffee.
Only chemiostry geek could start a thread like this. Whats next, funny scientific names?

Yeah, I finally figured out how to do that. I've only been here, what? A year or so? I created the image in ChemDraw Ultra, copied it to the clip board, pasted it into GraphicConverter, saved it as a JPEG, opened it in MacGIMP, reduced the size to 50 x 50 pixels, saved it as a GIF, and uploaded it. The image is related to my project and thesis.

Mmmm. . . .erotic cake. . . .

Okay, it's off thread, but I had to do it. Recognize the quote, anyone? :p

These are REAL molecules:

Arsole
Cummingtonite
Cadaverine
Spermine
Dickite
Moronic Acid
Fukalite
Traumatic Acid
Fucitol
Kinoshitalite
Sexithiophene
Bis(pinacolato)diboron
Crapinon
Psicose
Commic Acid
Fukugetin
Pubescine
Housane
Basketane
Windowpane
Diabolic Acid
Uranate
Welshite
Vaginatin
Anol
Antipain
Dinile
Constipatic Acid
Penguinone
Ovalene
Dogcollarane
Sepulchrate
Sarcophagene
DEAD
Apatite
Biplanene
Snoutene
Betweenanene (Screwene)
Draculin

Click the first link in the thread to see their chemical structures and literature references. Just in case you get the desire to look up these molecules.

Last semester, I had given a quiz to the students I taught and one of them incorrectly named KMnO4 (Potassium permanganate) as "Pathogenic acid".

he he

no wonder you need a browser that comes preconfigured for you - you could have done everything after the creation in graphic convertor:p all my avatars get shrunk and finalized in GC (hmm...opposite initials as CG..wonder if that has meaning:rolleyes: )

the avatar does suit you niles and your recent forays(sp?) into this forum have been a welcome addition.

but i think your diabolical and pathogenic acids have given me commic acid:p

I must just be goofy, but every time someone says "diethyl ether" I laugh like an idiot. :D We just finished organic chemistry, but we didn't learn anything complex like this.

Ah I am going to have to print this and bring it in to my chem teacher at school. He has the exact same sense of humour as me, and so he'll be rolling on the floor ;)

Back