Moving iTunes library to new internal HD For Dummies

ahollywoodcraig

Registered
First off I'm really sorry for posting this, because I'm sure that this has been answered before. I really need step by step instructions on how to do this.
I just had a new second hard drive put in my powermac G5. I need to move my entire iTunes library to my new HD. I want it to be completley off of my old hard drive. I also want to have all my future imports of music to go to the new HD. If any one can help me with this I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much in advance.
Craig

Hi, this is what i've been doing today as well, apart from moving it to an external drive.

1) Open iTunes, then go to preferences. click on advanced.

2) Click on 'change'. Then select where u want your music to be on the other hard drive. Click 'OK'.

Make sure the checkbox labeled “Keep iTunes Music folder organized” is checked, and make sure the checkbox labeled “Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library” is checked.

3) iTunes will ask if u want to keep it all organised and rename files. Do this. From now on all imported music will go to the new location.

4) In iTunes, go to the 'advanced' menu (not in the preferences), and click 'consolidate library'. All the iTunes music will be moved to the new location.

5) To delete the old iTunes music where it was before (test itunes works 1st!), go to where the itunes library was previously stored (usually in the 'itunes' folder in the 'music' folder, and trash all the music (usually in 'iTunes Music' folder. BUT DO NOT DELETE THE OTHER FILES e.g.. 'iTunes Library' and 'iTunes Music Library.xml'

6) Empty the trash and your done!

Let me know how u get on!

Back