My Screen is black

TriciaHughes1

Registered
So i have had two ibooks now, and both of them the screen has gone black and i can no longer use it.
This is very upsetting. Why does this keep happening? Can the computer i have now be fixed? I would love to someday get another one, but sence i've already spent over $2000 on the two laptops that do not work, im not sure i want another ibook. Is there anything that can garente this wont happen again?

You spent $2,000 dollars on a 5 year old Mac? Have you heard about the failing logic boards in iBooks that Apple fixed for free (for the last few years)?

I would love to someday get another one, but sence i've already spent over $2000 on the two laptops that do not work, im not sure i want another ibook. Is there anything that can garente this wont happen again?

With that kind of scratch instead of investing in ibooks you could have a real nice macbook pro. I assuming this is money spent in the distant past? Yeah, like Satcomer said, the ibooks are notorious for failing logic boards. I don't think Apple is repairing them without customers screaming real loud about it. Its worth a shot, but most of the ibooks are vintage equipment right now, so Apple may just say sorry about your luck?

And of course there is no guarantee in anything hardware related unfortunately.

iBook's are proven to have a short lifespan, Now by saying that, i don't mean a few months, but about five years, they have terrible video cards that fail constantly.. if you press hard on the left side by your trackpad, does the screen come back on?

Try that, and then let me know!

Ok i tried pressing hard on the left side and the screen goes black red green and blue and does that cyclic... Can you help me from here? I have no clue what to do...

Sounds like the video cabling from the motherboard to the LCD is failing, or, like Jesse said, perhaps the video card itself (which is non-replaceable).

It's most definitely physical damage to the computer -- it all depends on how badly you want to get these old computers running again and how much money you're willing to spend. They're out of warranty, and parts will generally be expensive. You may have luck getting your hands on a semi-working iBook on the cheap, then pulling whatever parts you need out of there.

Ok well the thing is i dont want to really spend much money but i want to like fix it by trying things out like hands on stuff. This iBookG4 is kind of pure money waste.. Almost everywhere the book dies after 3 year...

Back