my toast no longer sees my burner. help. :/

kafene

Registered
i have a usb iomega cd-rw that i used w/ toast 4 deluxe. it was working fine, but i noticed that it was no longer in my computer (i guess i didn't re-install).

anyhow, i was trying to burn a cd, but toast would no longer recognize the cd burner. the thing is, when i stick a blank cd in it, mac's "Disk Burner" mounts it and i can use it to burn the cd on the iomega. why do you think toast no longer sees the burner, but the mac software does? i also updated the driver for the modem and have already checked the extensions.

kafene.

your question may be too complex for a simple answer here. but first are you using 9.2.x? if so there are conflicts between toast and the authoring extensions used by disc burner.
the easiet way to solve your problem is to upgrade to toast titanium.
otherwise you can do a clean install of the last version of os 9 that worked with your version of toast and move toast extensions into it. then boot in that system whenever you want to burn.
unfortunately there aren't any easy answers i know of for curing this. i asume you don't burn very often or don't update your system regularly. other wise you would have found this problem some time ago.
i will say that there are several advantages to going to titanium, the biggest of which is background burning and increased compatiblity. you also get the new osx version for when you use osx.
on the other hand if disk burner is doing all you need it to, you might want to jsut stick with it.
i would suggest you check out www.roxio.com for more detailed info. roxio also provides its own peer support groups where you can get more detailed info. this is where i go when i need toast help.

thanks for all your help!! what u describe is quite right in every aspect. i will look into upgrading to titanium, since i'd hate to go back to the old operating system.

thanks!!! u rock.

kafene

it is definitely a conflict between Apple's Disc burner and Toast.

you gotta use one or the other. that mean disabling ALL (be sure to get them all) of the exensions of one or ther other, too.

If you upgraded the OS after installing Toast, Apple installed some extensions that disabled the ability of Toast to see burners. It wasn't on purpose, it's just one of those things that happens. Just re-install Toast, and you'll be fine.

Back