NAT and Airport

buc99

Don't Tread on Me!
I'm using a hosting service and my iMac running OSX is behind my Airport. I have a script that is correctly updating the assigned dynamic IP from my ISP to the Airport router with the hosting service. In other words, the hosting service is updated to the IP of the Airport. This is correct I assume from what I have read. I enabled the portmapping as such:

80 "manually set IP from Airport router" 80

My httpd.conf file has my webserving set to port 80 on this machine. However I can not connect to it through the address given by the hosting service. I can connect through 'localhost' and the 'manually assigned IP' I also am having trouble connect my Tibook to my iMac with AFP. I've tried using the computers name and the manuaaly set IP, it says no services available at this location. I opened the Network utility and did a portscan of:
1. localhost
2. The manually assigned IP
3. and the dynamic IP of the airport.

The open ports matched up on 1 and 2. However only one port matches between the server and the airport. Only two ports popped up total on the airport. The port number that matches between the airport and the webserver is one I had opened on the firewall utility Brickhouse for something totally different.

To make a long story short, is there something else I need to setup? How come only two ports show up as open on the airport when I have set a bunch of ports open for this machine to the public for my iMac under port mapping? Am I misinterpreting how the port mapping function works on the airport? Any help would be most appreciated?

Thanks,:)
SA

you can't generally 'loopback' the public IP addresses.

If I get an IP from my ISP of 1.2.3.4 and my router is assigning
something like 10.0.1.x, and my iBook gets 10.0.1.1, I cant ping 1.2.3.4
but I can ping the rest of the Internet.

OK, but I can't connect between my Tibook and imac with AFP anymore. I was able to do this when the airport base station(ABS) was assigning both macs dynamic IP's. Now that the ABS is assigning manual IPs to both macs, I can't connect with Appletalk. Any ideas?

Thanks,:)
SA

Back