need help backing up my os X 10.1 system disks

Rocksteady

Registered
I've been trying to make a backup copy of my osX 10.1 system disks for awhile now, and to no avail. The entire reason i have 10.1 now is because i lost the book with my original 10.0 system disks in it, and when my system died, i had to shell out another $100 or so for 10.1...i'd rather not have to go thru this again, and i don't have the $$$ to upgrade to jaguar.
so heres my problem, i have an older burner (iomega zip cd), and the version of toast i have is not compatible on osx or 9.2...I don't have $ to upgrade to a newer version of toast, so when i need to burn, i just boot up onto my os 9.0.4 partition and burn... so i tried to do a straight disk copy of my 0sX 10.1 install cd. the disk burned ok, but i get an error message saying it doesn't have a system folder, and can't boot the computor. so when that didn't work, i made a disk image, and then burned the image to cd....same thing, it won't boot the computor, can't select it in the startup disk menu, and holding c when restarting will not go into the system install. i'm stumped, and this is starting to make me angry, i have wasted way too many cd's trying to get this right, but each one shows the correct files and folders...but none will boot and install the system software...is there something i am doing wrong here...am i just an idiot?
chris

I'm not to sure about pointing you in the right direction about the bootable image your trying to create though it may have something to do with the fact that your trying to burn a OS X bootable image with an app that resides in the classic environment.

I can tell you this much I've used Carbon Copy Cloner http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html before for system back-up (X.1 & X.2) as well as creating bootable disks and its great. Keep in mind I'm doing this through the OS X platform only. Carbon Copy, Toast etc.

Good luck!

So all you need is a backup copy of the OS X 10.1 install CD? As finch explained, you want a burned BOOTABLE CD, and the older version of Toast won't help you with a 10.1 bootable CD. Will CarbonCopy Cloner make a copy of the OS X CD? I'm not sure. And you probably also want security backups of hard-to-replace files, CarbonCopyCloner is a good bet. If all you NEED is a bootable copy of that OSX CD, how about your local Apple Store, you may be able to have one done there! (recognize that not everyone has a local Apple Store :( ) If you don't need more than the OSX CD, safeguard that sucker! They really don't 'go bad' without getting damaged. With Panther coming soon, maybe you can get that Jaguar for cheap!

Back