Need some help from a win/mac expert

BVGuitarPlayer

Registered
heres my situation, i'm trying to get programs from my dad's work computer to mine, he has a newer ibook....i have an ipod and an old ibook. His software installer CDs are in Florida, where he works. (They are licensed to 5 users.) I copied them onto the iPod, then i put them on a pc. I burned them onto CD, now they do not work on my computer. I really want these programs to work, otherwise i will have to wait a month and a half to use them.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

BVGuitarPlayer said:
heres my situation, i'm trying to get programs from my dad's work computer to mine, he has a newer ibook....i have an ipod and an old ibook. His software installer CDs are in Florida, where he works. (They are licensed to 5 users.) I copied them onto the iPod, then i put them on a pc. I burned them onto CD, now they do not work on my computer. I really want these programs to work, otherwise i will have to wait a month and a half to use them.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

Explain what you mean by 'they do not work'...
-Can't get the CD to mount on your Mac
-CD mounts, but can't copy to the Mac
-copies OK, but software won't open
-Opens but get an error message (what is it?)
-What software are you trying to use? Might require the ORIGINAL installer CDs...

DeltaMac said:
Explain what you mean by 'they do not work'...
-Can't get the CD to mount on your Mac
-CD mounts, but can't copy to the Mac
-copies OK, but software won't open
-Opens but get an error message (what is it?)
-What software are you trying to use? Might require the ORIGINAL installer CDs...

it mounts fine, it copies fine, but once it is on the computer, the application will not open, it displays the application as a folder. So i added ".app" to the filename, and now...it bounces 2 or 3 times in the dock before quitting and displaying "the application has unexpectingly quit."

Thr program is Adobe Photoshop, i am NOT pirating this software, my dad's small business has a 5 user license. My only opportunity to use one of these installer cds will be in a month and a half, i would really like to use this software now.

BVGuitarPlayer said:
it mounts fine, it copies fine, but once it is on the computer, the application will not open, it displays the application as a folder. So i added ".app" to the filename, and now...it bounces 2 or 3 times in the dock before quitting and displaying "the application has unexpectingly quit."

Thr program is Adobe Photoshop, i am NOT pirating this software, my dad's small business has a 5 user license. My only opportunity to use one of these installer cds will be in a month and a half, i would really like to use this software now.

Did you copy the installer, or just the app from another system?
I don't believe that PhotoShop will install OK just through a file copy.

Usually an app that shows up as a folder, just requires a reboot to display properly as a package file, renaming the app accomplishes nothing in this situation. but the double-copy process has probably left PS without some needed resources. A PC file copy typically ignores the Mac app's resource files... (and explains why it's not working)
It doesn't take a month-and-a-half to mail a CD :D But, I think you need an original installer for a major software like PhotoShop

i believe that in order to keep an app intact when storing on a windows file system, it must first be zipped or otherwise compressed. this would be easy for a simple, small sized, drag&drop type app. however with a large app that needs an installer like PS, this is a bit more difficult. the easiest thing to do would just be have your dad burn a copy of the original cd (or a disk image) for you and send it in the mail. just copying the application folder and contents of PS won't work even if you were transferring directly to a mac.

haha actually i was thinking good ol drop-stuff might do the trick. That might make make photoshop smaller too, thatd be good, burn faster. Thanks for the help, i'll give it a try probably tomorrow let everyone know what happens.....i don't think photoshop has any additional system resources in the Library files and System, or does it???

Thanks everyone, sorry to the admins for the trouble

Also the OS X installer needs to run from a bootable volume... I don't think you can do this from a disk image or a CD burned on a PeeCee...

yes BVGP, that's what we're trying to tell you - that PS installs extra files in the library and system thru the installer that you need to run the app. just dragging and dropping in dropstuff is still not going to solve your problem. included in these are invisible files that verify the registration i believe. without them, you won't get it to work. if your dad can't burn a copy of the original disk, then the easiest thing to do would be have your dad send the original disk to you and then you send it back after installing it and burning your own backup.

Back