network problem blueberry iBook

mniessen

Registered
bought a second-hand blueberry iBook recently, which is in good shape, except (as I noticed only later) there is no signal from the ethernet port!
I am running 10.1.5 and 9.2.2 on it, the system profiler states the flags are: "Multicast, simplex, running, b6, broadcast , up", and it gives an actual hardware address, so that's all looking good. (identical in fact to my own iBook's profiler report)

It's just that *nothing* happens when I plug the iBook into the hub: no signal indicator, no activity indicator.

I had a thorough look inside the machine (had to clean it anyway), and the ethernet port is securely connected to the motherboard (i.e. no evidence of the iBook having been ripped off the desk through stumbling over the cable!); for good measure, I re-soldered the connections. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the motherboard, and the soldered links do connect to the actual connector strips, I measured that through.

So my question: what can be the issue here? Is there some sort of ethernet controller on the motherboard somewhere that could be dead, fried, or otherwise ruined, that could be replaced, and if so, where is it and what does it look like, or am I just being stupid, and have forgotten some network setting somewhere, which simply keeps the ethernet dumb (I don't think so..)?
Or could this problem be a common one with flavoured iBooks?

Help!? anyone?

Many thanks in advance

Back