Networking

CDeSilva621

Registered
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this whole Mac deal but i'm liking it so far. I went from a 4 year old HP desktop running XP to a new 20" iMac with the 2.0 gigahertz processor. Anyway, i have verizon dsl with a westell 2200 modem and a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router. When the modem is plugged directly into the iMac there are no issues, however when i hook up my wireless network to connect to my laptop and other desktop(both running xp home), the mac will not get internet access at all. and the other xp machines will connect to the router but cannot access the internet. Any and all input will be welcomed.

Have you configured the WRT54G to act as a DHCP server? There's an option in the web configuration interface to have it do that. You can also enter the DNS nameservers and domain of your internet service provider so that the computers can access the web once they get an IP address lease. If it still doesn't work, then configure the DNS settings manually on each computer.

What nixgeek said, plus -
Make sure you set the router to do the PPPoE authentication, and turn that Off on any computer you want to connect through the router. (The router is your single point of connection to the ISP)

Back